Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Check This One Out! - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Check This One Out! - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind


Clementine: "This is it, Joel. It's going to be gone soon."

Joel: "I know."

Clementine: "What do we do?"

Joel: "Enjoy it."


      Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is directed by Michel Gondry (Be Kind Rewind, The Green Hornet, Human Nature) and stars Jim Carrey as Joel Barish, Kate Winslet as Clementine Kruczynski, Elijah Wood as Patrick, Mark Ruffalo as Stan, Kirsten Dunst as Mary, Tom Wilkinson as Dr. Mierzwiak, David Cross as Rob, Jane Adams as Carrie, and Thomas Jay Ryan as Frank.



Huh...Jim Carrey not doing slapstick comedy? AND it's really good? Well, damn.


      Joel Barish and Clementine Kruczynski found to love each other through the oddities that are their personalities, but love is something that can be broken. For Joel, everything about him failed after they broke up; he went into a depression that he didn't think he could get out of. He later discovered that Clementine had erased Joel from her memory using a special kind of therapy practiced by a company called Lacuna Inc. Joel does this too so that he doesn't have to keep the hurt of his past in his future. Dr. Mierzwiak and his colleagues, the ones behind Lacuna Inc., erase bits of Joel's past, but with every memory of Clementine that gets taken away from him, he realizes that he might have made a huge mistake erasing the love of his life from, well, his life.



Yeah, it gets a little weird from time to time.


      Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind might not be the most unknown film, but it's also not the most known film. It's a total shame because this movie is so f***ing beautiful. The first time I viewed this movie was back in high school. I saw it for a psychology class and, if you have seen the movie, it makes perfect sense on why this movie would be shown in a psych class. It isn't the fact that you get to see the inside of someone's mind and how weird and abnormal it is, but it's the fact that the emotional auras that this film transmits is off the charts. I legitimately cried when watching this recently, I laughed, and I felt butterflies. Yeah, I know, pretty stupid. Actually, no. It's not stupid. It's human. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of the most human movies I have ever seen, in the most fantastical way. Joel goes on an adventure through the depths of his mind and the movie shows that in almost every scene. I think that's why it's very humanizing: it excellently deconstructs the feelings that an individual has towards their significant other, past, future, and present, and puts them through dream-like environments that seem plausible in the mind. On top of that, the believable chemistry that Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet have helps spread emotions from on screen to the viewers. It's realistic to the point where these characters could probably be sitting next to you on a bus. Crazy, isn't it?



Oh, look! They're on public transportation already. Check and see if that's them sitting next to you.


      As you can tell, I love this movie. Like a lot. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a film that really, really, REALLY should be viewed by everybody at some point in their lifetime. It has too much realism in an artificial world to pass up. Though that may sound unattractive, I guarantee you it is an amazing film. I also had a hard time choosing which quote to post at the top because there are so many tug-at-the-heart-strings quotes. Quotes like: "constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating", "why do I fall in love with every woman I see who shows me the least bit of attention?", "adults are, like, this mess of sadness and phobias", or "I could die right now, Clem. I'm just...happy. I've never felt that before. I'm just exactly where I want to be" could have made the top. Speaking from the heart, there are probably like 20+ quotes that I can relate to and I'm sure you can too. Take the time to watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I won't spoil anything, but the ending....man, oh man. It's truly mindboggling how there aren't enough movies like this in the spotlight.



So much beauty in a single quote.


Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is rated language, some drug and sexual content

Click here to watch the trailer

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is available on DVD, Blu-ray, some streaming services, and digital download



      Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, comment and let me know what you think of it. I'll post another Check This One Out! next week. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment