Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Check This One Out! - In Bruges

Check This One Out! - In Bruges



Natalie: "Harry. Harry! It's an inanimate f***ing object!"

Harry: "You're an inanimate f***ing object!"



    In Bruges is directed by Martin McDonagh (Seven Psychopaths) and stars Colin Farrell as Ray, Brendan Gleeson as Ken, Ralph Feinnes as Harry, Clémence Poésy as Chloë, Jordan Prentice as Jimmy, Jérémie Renier as Erik, Elizabeth Berrington as Natalie, and Eric Gordon as Yuri.




I have to admit, it took me a good 10 minutes for me to get used to the Irish accents. When I did understand, I couldn't believe what filthy genius statements these guys were making.



    After a mission gone horribly wrong, hitmen Ray and Ken are sent to Bruges, Belgium to await orders from their boss, Harry, as to what the plan is. Guilt-ridden Ray is going through bouts of extreme depression after killing a kid and Ken is conflicted by what Harry wants him to do about that. With these characters in the forefront, the hilarious dark comedy rages in the god awful town of Bruges (Ray's words, not mine).




What the f**k?!?! What the hell's going on?! Oh right...we're in Bruges.



    It may just be my sick sense of humor, but watching Colin Farrell make fun of dwarves, the Vietnamese, Belgians, Americans, African-Americans, and homosexuals is entertaining as hell. I'm sorry if that sentence makes you think differently of me, but the reason I say that is because nobody is safe from getting made fun of. I just think if you're going to go all out on a certain race or religion, you should do it to everyone and with style. In Bruges pretty much nails everyone on the head with that mostly due to the fantastic script that Martin McDonagh also wrote. It wasn't just the detailed grilling on races, religions, and all sorts stereotypes that got me to love this film, but it's also due to the dialogue between the characters involved, especially that between Ray and Ken. Both Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are fantastic actors, there's no doubt. In Bruges takes their acting to a whole new level incorporating odd, but perfectly blended comedy and drama. There's a certain scene at the end that has Brendan Gleeson's character at the bottom of the circle of life (if you can guess what that is) with gore and all. He can barely talk to Ray,  but with all the strength he has left, Ken says simple things in the most shocking way. I honestly wasn't prepared to see or hear this considering the film's tone, but now that I think about it, it totally makes sense to put this in the movie. Even Ralph Feinnes as Harry is friggin' fantastic. All in all, the performances by all the actors were phenomenal thanks to the casting choices and the dirty, gritty, realistic, and hilarious screenplay.




Ray, please help me understand your fascination with dwarves. 



    In Bruges, surprisingly, has made a big impact in my view of comedies: they can be surrounded by dark subject matter and still be a true comedy. They don't have to be raunchy for the sake of being raunchy, shocking for the sake of being shocking, or touching for the sake of being touching. In Bruges is all of those things, but they all complement each other to live up to the genre of dark comedies. I also want to mention that there's a particular moment that I replayed over and over again laughing my ass off when Ray karate chops a dwarf in the neck. Holy crap, if you have doubts about watching this film, well watch it for that moment at least.




You're going to need a good drink after watching this movie. In all sincerity, I mean that in a good way.



In Bruges is rated R for strong bloody violence, pervasive language, and some drug use

Click here to watch the trailer

In Bruges is available on DVD, Blu-ray, some streaming services, and digital download



    Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen In Bruges, comment and let me know what you think of it. I'll post another Check This One Out! next week. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment