Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Check This One Out! - The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Check This One Out! - The Perks of Being a Wallflower


Sam: "Why do I and everyone I love pick people who treat us like we're nothing?"

Charlie: "We accept the love we think we deserve."




    The Perks of Being a Wallflower is directed by Stephen Chbosky (The Four Corners of Nowhere) and stars Logan Lerman as Charlie, Emma Watson as Sam, Ezra Miller as Patrick, Mae Whitman as Mary Elizabeth, Nina Dobrev as Candace, Dylan McDermott as Charlie's Father, Kate Walsh as Charlie's Mother, Johnny Simmons as Brad, Erin Wilhelmi as Alice, Adam Hagenbuch as Bob, Nicholas Braun as Ponytail Derek, Zane Holtz as Chris, Melanie Lynksey as Aunt Helen, Paul Rudd as Mr. Anderson, and Joan Cusack as Dr. Burton.




Oh man! I didn't realize that Logan Lerman is made out of cardboard! Give that inanimate object a damn Oscar!



    Charlie is a shy and socially awkward teenager starting his first year of high school. He has just come back from a mental health center to get better, but everyone he was friends with has changed and he is now a wallflower, someone who watches everybody and their actions from the sidelines; never actually being involved (basically everyone who deals with social anxiety). Fortunately, he meets two seniors, Patrick and Sam. Now we watch lovable Charlie live the joys of relationships and love, while also dealing with the mistakes he makes with his new found friends and his mental illness. It's life in a nutshell through the eyes of a beautiful human being (who also happens to be a freshman in high school).




That milkshake scene almost made milk come out my nose because it was so funny...I wasn't drinking milk at the time...maybe I should go see a doctor.



    Damn, I've been watching a lot of beautiful films lately. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is no exception either. This movie actually is personally more beautiful to me due to the portrayal of mental illness and its host's interaction with it and life. It's rare to find those films that can accurately represent an illness as complicated as depression and turn it into a funny, charming, sad, and heart-warming study case of a movie. Thank you, Logan Lerman for allowing us to see the hurt and confused person behind Charlie's happy and kind shell. This is hard for Hollywood to do, for some reason. They usually show the mentally ill as dangerous or crazy, whatever that means. Anyways, it's not only the portrayal of mental illness that drew me closer into the story, but it was also because of the dialogue. Holy crap, were the characters so real! To those who've seen The Perks of Being a Wallflower, you might think that the dialogue might be a bit theatrical or filled with forced emotional context/conversations. I can easily counteract that with one word: clique. What I mean is that the group Charlie is a part of with Sam and Patrick are outcasts and weirdos; they don't fit in with the jocks or the nerds. To be honest, they're kind of emo. However, the more and more I think about it, their interests can fit into the whole spectrum of high school cliques. That's actually why I love this movie so much: the main characters are real. Everybody has different interests and passions. A star quarterback on the varsity high school team (typically considered a jock) could love reading comic books (activity typically associated with geeks) or the guy who sits at the lunch table by himself/herself playing Minecraft (typically considered a geek) can really love playing soccer and be very skilled (an activity typically associated with jocks). This movie doesn't conform to stereotypes. It reflects the reality of people in high school. We really should have more movies like this. On top of that, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is also a romance film. Yeah, you heard right! This is literally just life throughout a year in high school. I think I may be just a bit biased, but these are the kinds of films that get to me because I can see some events that happened in my life in a variety of scenes in this genre (coming of age).




I never had a daredevil clique in my school. They were actually just called dumbasses, but in the movie it looks as hell.



    If this doesn't interest you, then the soundtrack will. Why is it that coming of age films usually have terrific soundtracks? Whatever. I'm not going to fight it. It unfolds my love for these films even more so I'm not complaining. I have been watching a string of these movies lately and I think The Perks of Being a Wallflower is among the best of the ones I have seen (there have been probably 7 or 8). Please, please, please take 1 hour and 45 minutes to watch this film. It will make you cry, laugh, and think. Isn't that what you want out of a movie? Maybe a couple of explosions here and there, but hey, they can't always beef it up with violence.




Logan Lerman will be disappointed if you don't see it.



The Perks of Being a Wallflower is rated PG-13 for mature thematic material, drug and alcohol use, sexual content including references, and a fight - all involving teens

Click here to watch the trailer

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is now available on DVD, Blu-ray, and Digital Download



    Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen The Perks of Being a Wallflower, comment and let me know what you think of it. I'll post another Check This One Out! next week. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment