Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, August 6, 2016

Suicide Squad Review

Suicide Squad


Harley Quinn: "Love your perfume. What is that? The scent of death?"



      Suicide Squad is directed by David Ayer (End of Watch, Sabotage, Fury) and stars Will Smith as Deadshot, Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, Viola Davis as Amanda Waller, Joel Kinnaman as Rick Flag, Jay Hernandez as El Diablo, Cara Delevingne as June Moone/Enchantress, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Killer Croc, Jai Courtney as Boomerang, Karen Fukuhara as Katana, Adam Beach as Slipknot, Alain Chanoine as Incubus, and Jared Leto as The Joker.



A badass team of badasses who do badass bad guy stuff.


      In this DC Universe film, government agent Amanda Waller worries about a future Superman-ish threat that, instead of doing good, could possibly wipe out the human race. She puts together a team of bad guys from a high security prison consisting of: Deadshot, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc, El Diablo, Katana, Captain Boomerang, Enchantress, and Slipknot. She chooses these baddies because if anything goes wrong, the government can just blame it on them, since they are already considered felons. Col. Rick Flag leads this team of villains into an otherworldly battle against unknown entities, all while The Joker tries to pull of some evil plans of his own.



Ha! This looks like my squad on regular Friday night!


      I'm sorry. I think I lied in the description of the movie. That's actually what the trailers make it seem to be, but in reality, I was surprised/confused on what the plot actually was when I saw Suicide Squad. I won't spoil anything, that's for sure. All I want to say is that don't believe the trailer's message on what the story is. Now to get back to the review. I am sadly disappointed with the outcome of Suicide Squad. Here's the thing: I love comic book movies and comic books in general, even if I don't read all of the comic books that the movie is based on. I definitely appreciate the characters that are in this film and I can see really cool adventures that this team can go on, but in this interpretation of Suicide Squad, nothing, besides the characters and some of the action, worked. If you've read my reviews before, you know I'm a huge fan of the story of a movie. I want to be taken into a world that makes me feel happy, or sad, or scared, or pumped. Suicide Squad does not really have that compelling of a story and therefore lacks the emotional or gravitating energy a superhero film needs. Unfortunately, I didn't really believe the motives for most of the characters taking charge of the situation (Rick Flag's and Amanda Waller's). I can already guess that most of you will say that the motive was to get rid of the giant laser thing that was destroying everybody, but that's not what the main motive is for most of these characters. It's...well...love, I guess. Yeah, how sappy, right? It's just something that I don't want in a superhero film, especially one in which the main characters are bad guys. On top of poor plot, the editing is incredibly choppy to tell this story. It's clear that there are scenes missing. Who knows? Those scenes may have made the movie better in the long run. I'll also say that I am freaking frustrated with this because Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice had scenes missing and they decided to release them in the Blu-ray when they should've just released them in the theatrical release to start with. Damn it, DC! I can't fault the story itself though, unless it was just absolutely terribly bad, which it isn't entirely, but with the editing being an equal, in terms of quality, to the story, that just makes it a double poop fest. I don't know what I just said there, but all I know is that the storytelling used in Suicide Squad is crappy.



I think Katana got her hands on the reel and just sliced up the parts where the movie made sense.


      On the plus side of this below average superhero movie, the superheroes/super villains are cool as hell. I enjoyed each of them showing off their powers and/or skills that make them a force to be reckoned with. However, not all of the characters are fleshed out equally. There is more characterization and character arc with Deadshot, Harley Quinn, and El Diablo. The other team members are kind of like secondary characters that can be replaced with anybody as powerful as them. Having said that, it is still a lot of fun to see these bad guys interact with each other. Suicide Squad has a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe, in that it doesn't take itself too seriously and blends a good amount of humor into the script. For DC, this is a huge step up from the dark and serious superhero movies we've seen lately. They actually listened to their fans so kudos to them. I still can't help but compare this movie to Guardians though and how far more superior of a film Guardians was because it was more focused on the team working together. I didn't really see much of this except for the last battle scene, which, by the way, is totally rushed and a huge let down for what I expected all of these lunatic/violent/fantastical characters could do. I'll be the unpopular opinion here, but I hope Suicide Squad get a sequel because this team has so much potential. The potential is just wasted here.



Harley Quinn and Deadshot are most definitely the best characters in the squad.


      You've probably noticed that I haven't spoken about The Joker yet....well just like Suicide Squad does, The Joker will just be shoved in my review just to please fans. He didn't have much to offer here which is super sad because he is THE definitive villain in all of DC. We all know by now that Jared Leto's Joker is taking the iconic character to a different area. People are scared of different because it leads us to think of the unknown. We're blind when it comes to different. For the most part, I shockingly liked what Jared Leto did with the iconic character. When watching, I was thrilled to see that he delivered the same psychopath that we love with creative direction by the actor himself (wardrobe, laugh, bits and pieces of his personality). So The Joker is a positive, but like I said, he is almost like a character in the background that just comes to stir s**t up every now and then. Nothing spectacular and nothing memorable.



Jared Leto's Joker really does look a lot different from Cesar Romero's, Jack Nicholson's, and Heath Ledger's interpretation. That's a good thing though!


      I'm upset that Suicide Squad director David Ayer decided to reshoot some material prior to releasing this film. It was actually not even that long ago that the crew did reshoots. I'm thinking that those reshoots screwed with the final product. Anyways, we get what we get and the unfortunate truth is that Suicide Squad is a huge let down. For all you DC fans, I love the characters. I think they could venture off into some weird and fun territory that DC hasn't shown us yet, but for what we got, this FILM is not too great. I stress the word "film" because this is a film. It isn't just characters playing superheroes (even though that's what it seems like). The story, editing, and most characterizations is not on par with many other superhero team up movies that we've gotten in the past decade. I just hope DC takes a long hard look at this film and corrects the early mistakes that Justice League may have to make it one of the best superhero movies ever...I can dream, can't I?


2.6/5


PRO
  • The characters potential for future adventures and their interactions
  • The Joker is cool (though not enough of him)

CON
  • Plot is not compelling
  • Incredibly choppy editing
  • Few fleshed out characters



Suicide Squad is rated PG-13 for sequences of violence and action throughout, disturbing behavior, suggestive content and language

Click here to watch the trailer

Suicide Squad is in theaters everywhere now


      Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen Suicide Squad, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment