Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Jason Bourne Review

Jason Bourne


Jason Bourne: "The next bullet's in your head!"


      Jason Bourne is directed by Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Ultimatum, Captain Phillips) and stars Matt Damon as Jason Bourne, Tommy Lee Jones as CIA Director Robert Dewey, Alicia Vikander as Heather Lee, Vincent Cassel as Asset, Riz Ahmed as Aaron Kalloor, Julia Stiles as Nicky Parsons, Ato Essandoh as Craig Jeffers, Scott Shepherd as Director NI Edwin Russell, and Bill Camp as Malcolm Smith.



Liam Neeson: "...I will find you...and I will kill you."

Matt Damon: "Dude! I just want to know who I f***ing am!"


      Jason Bourne is back to discover more secrets about his past, but this time, after years of hiding from the world, he is found by former friend Nicky Parsons to tell him about a new program that the CIA is forming to make more deadly human weapons by spying on innocent citizens. This leads CIA Director Robert Dewey to find him too and he assigns Heather Lee, a hacker and employee of the CIA, and a new asset to track Bourne and put him down. Bourne, evading all of the dangerous situations using his expert hand to hand combat skills, finds himself going up against an event that has the CIA working with a company called Deep Dream to monitor all human beings, thus providing the government with an eye in peoples' everyday lives; an epidemic invasion of privacy that is against the law and human ethics.



Jason Bourne is back and this time he's running out of time...to save the American people from the government creepily spying on them.


      The Bourne films with Matt Damon have always been a standard of what spy/action films try to do. They are exciting, violent, intriguing in plot, and damn fun. This newest installment, unfortunately, comes in fourth place out of the four Matt Damon films. This isn't to say I didn't have fun and Damon didn't kick ass. He did and it was freaking fantastic when the action sequences were shown. However, the plot is nothing to be praised. I found it boring for the most part, actually. In the previous films, it was fun to watch Jason dig deeper and deeper into his past to uncover the shocking things that the CIA did to him. There are elements of this in Jason Bourne, but the focus isn't at all on Jason solving those mysteries, it's about stopping this new company from spreading a technology worldwide that watches what people do in private. The script does tend to keep repeating that Jason is a patriot at heart, but this is the first film in which Jason does something for the entirety of the human race and not just for him. Call me selfish or whatever, but I enjoyed it more when Jason looked for his past, first and foremost. I feel like it gives Jason more of an oomph on his personal agenda. Like I said, this is present in Jason Bourne,  but it isn't the priority. It's almost if the filmmakers wanted to try something completely different, which I totally admire, but it just isn't pulled off very well in the end.



Even Jason is bored out of his mind watching these Deep Dream scenes!


      So action...yeah, there's a bunch of cool hand to hand combat in Jason Bourne just like the other Bourne films have. Again, it's awesome as hell. Even the vehicle chases are amazing. I applaud Paul Greengrass for the shots that he got. These definitely must've not been easy especially with one particular scene involving a SWAT truck rolling over a bunch of other cars. I can see why Matt Damon wouldn't return for another Bourne film unless Greengrass was again director. This guy is a mad genius! I do have to warn people though: there is a lot of shaky cam. This is a staple of the Bourne films, though. If you don't enjoy the realistic gritty action scenes in the previous films, then Jason Bourne's action scenes most likely won't win you over. For those of you who do happen to like the intensity of these action scenes, the technicality to get this sense of realism makes me and will make you happy that this style is still alive and well. The one problem I have with the Bourne action scenes isn't the grittiness of it all. It's actually the editing. Sometimes I can't even tell what's going on besides punching and kicking, but to help keep the audience in check, the sound editing is extraordinarily well done. A punch in the throat sounds much more different than a punch on the gut (weird thing to say) and it seriously is easy to tell in Jason Bourne.



Just sit the hell down, boy.


      We would all assume that Matt Damon is the star of Jason Bourne since he plays the title character. However, if someone asked me who that stand out character is, I would probably say that Alicia Vikander as Heather Lee is actually the stand out. Since her amazing performance in Ex Machina and The Danish Girl, she's been wanted by everybody. I think it may be because she just screams out everyday Joe. She isn't over the top, nor does she take you out of the movie she is acting in. She's very good at transitioning her acting and that shows here. Heather Lee's motives, though, are a little vague, but I would say that's due to the screenplay which, again, is the fault for most of the negatives in Jason Bourne. The performances all over the board were well done, but I would just mention that Alicia Vikander is just the person I would give highest praise to. Of course, Matt Damon is just as badass and just as fierce as he is in the other Bourne films. It's always entertaining to see how much Matt Damon is committed to his role as an international spy/assassin/soldier/killer/Chuck Norris. I'm glad he didn't disappoint because I know if he put in the same amount of effort the story regarding Deep Dream did, then I would've hated Jason Bourne.



Alicia, you've come a long way from being that beautiful and dangerous robot to a beautiful and dangerous human.


      Jason Bourne, rather than focusing on Jason's past and motives, falls short of good. This certainly has the potential to be another add-on to an already great franchise, except that Jason Bourne just doesn't feel as connectable as the other Bourne films because this one's primary objective is to take down a company that wants to invade the privacy of people. Jason does have his revenge motives in Jason Bourne, that's for sure, but I just don't really care when the Deep Dream plot is being shoved down my throat. I will give it this, the action is, once again, cool as hell and every fight scene that has Jason punching a guy sounds like you're getting hit without feeling actual pain. Paul Greengrass does his job with directing very well, but the screenwriting part seems to be the fluke. I'm sorry, man. You have got to keep Jason fighting his way to the truth in the forefront. I'm down for another Bourne film, though, and I think that the filmmakers will learn their mistake and hopefully make another action/thriller classic with Jason Bourne brutally hurting people to get answers.


3.5/5


PRO
  • Action scenes are still as badass as ever
  • Alicia Vikander and Matt Damon's performances
  • Realistic and gritty view with handheld camera movement (while very, very subjective)

CON
  • Deep Dream plot



Jason Bourne is rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, and brief strong language.

Click here to watch the trailer

Jason Bourne is in theaters everywhere now




      Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen Jason Bourne, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment