Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Don't Breathe Review

Don't Breathe


Money: "Just cause he's blind don't mean he's a saint, bro."


    Don't Breathe is directed by Fede Alvarez (Evil Dead 2013 remake) and stars Jane Levy as Rocky, Dylan Minnette as Alex, Daniel Zovatto as Money, and Stephen Lang as The Blind Man.




So Kevin Federline, the girl covered in blood in Evil Dead, the older brother who couldn't keep an eye on his sister in Prisoners, and the bad guy from Avatar take up the majority of the screen time?...Sounds pretty cool!



    Alex, Rocky, and Money are three friends that rob houses to steal jewelry or small valuable objects to make some money on the side. They plan to go to California when they have a lead about a blind veteran sitting on a great deal of cash in his house. Soon after they find out, the three thieves enter his home. However, with tense and sometimes even disturbing events, these friends learn that they messed with the wrong man and he'll do anything he is remotely capable of to keep his money and his secrets from leaving the house.




By "remotely capable", I mean he'll shoot you, stab you, strangle you, or pretty much do anything to kill you.



    "........" is what a lot of the audience was saying in my theater while watching this movie. There were those occasional bursts of laughter when everyone yelled in fright at the same time, but they were laughing because the moment of fear got everyone. I'm seriously in shock at how good this movie is. I mean, I saw the trailer and I immediately set my timer to the date it was going to be released because the trailer has all the signals of originality. What I'm shocked by, is that Don't Breathe exceed my expectations in a landslide. I'm not even joking when I say that I was curling my fingers and toes (I could also feel my intestines moving around in discomfort) because of how tense the moments of action and the moments in between were. It's so refreshing to see that there aren't any of those clichéd jump scares, "don't go in there, you idiot!" scenes, or characters that aren't interesting, but you kind of have to root for them because they're the main characters. The jump scares in Don't Breathe work because they build up the tension and the work with the characters point of view. The movements of characters into rooms or opening doors are feel like real choices that I or you could actually make in this sort of situation, and the characters are actually sort of complicated, if you think about it. Sometimes you root for the blind man, sometimes you root for the thieves. The all have their believable backgrounds, but none of them are uninteresting. Really though, Don't Breathe is a mind blowing to me. I thought I had seen it all, in terms of incorporating new elements in a horror/thriller film. I'm totally relieved that there are good people out there making good films for people to enjoy.




Sometimes I can't even tell if he's the hero or the villain.



    As all good horror movies go, the audience should feel tense and uncomfortable for the majority of the film. They should feel scared like they're actually in the movie; attached to the film in some way. Don't Breathe really brings out the nervousness in a person, at least for me it did. The title itself is a good example of living up to its name. For the entire film after the first 15 or 20 minutes, I was squirming in my seat trying not to breathe (as if I was actually in the movie). Every scene built up tension to the next scene, then to next one, then to the next one. I honestly can't say I wasn't engaged or didn't have clammy hands in any part of the film. I was f***ing anxious! A good amount of that has to do with the direction and the writing of Don't Breathe. There is one particular scene (also partly seen in the trailer) that has two characters, Alex and Rocky, stumbling on top of objects in a basement with the lights off. The two actors wore contact lenses that restricted their eyesight greatly. This is what I think should be done for all movies: going as deep as possible to be put in the exact situation as their characters. I could feel the tension of the actors in that scene, as I'm sure they felt. That reminds me to give praise to the camera work. All of the shots in Don't Breathe felt genuine. What I mean by that is that it adds to the atmosphere of almost being there with lots of one-shot scenes. I think this is as close as you can get to handheld/found footage films. This on top of all the other nail biting moments in Don't Breathe make this film a modern horror classic.




How freaky would it be to make your getaway from your murder in pitch black? I'm guessing very.



    Don't Breathe has its faults in the way it ends. I wouldn't say it's a bad ending. I kind of like how it chose to go with its twist ending, but there are about two or so endings it could've taken. It dragged on a bit too long with getting to the credits. I am a little upset and disappointed about that because it could've been a bit shorter, but with a short 1 hour and 28 minutes as its running time, there wasn't much the film could've done to prevent that. It's unfortunate because we can't really have a movie be like 50 minutes and we really can't have it be a long ass 2 hours. It's the risk a film, especially a horror film, takes when it seems to be great in all the ways imaginable, but the flaw is in how it chooses its ending because of running time. I don't want to blame it solely on how the writers choice to extend the film to make it a bit longer because I really can't see any other way around it. I'm just glad Don't Breathe didn't drag on for as long as it could have. It did what it had to do to please the audience and critics. Plus, the ending that was chosen isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be. I'm really just saying that I thought the movie was over at one point when it actually wasn't.




Ending #1: Money kills the blind man in his sleep. The end. We would have 20 minutes consisting of background stories for nothing.



    All in all, I am so pleased that my expectations were exceeded. Don't Breathe is a white-knuckling film that leaves you guessing where the younger characters will hide or run from a blind man trying to kill them. It's original as hell and therefore a film that needs to be seen by people who are always complaining that Hollywood isn't making good and original films anymore. All you need to remember is that you shouldn't mess with people who you think are easy targets because it may turn out that they can kick your ass and stab you with gardening scissors...that just took a turn for the dark. Sorry. Don't Breathe is dark in every sense of the word, anyways. Go see it!



4.5/5


PRO
  • Original idea
  • Tense and nail-biting as hell
  • Camera work

CON
  • Dragged out ending



Don't Breathe is rated R for terror, violence, disturbing content, and language including sexual references

Click here to watch the trailer

Don't Breathe is in theaters everywhere now



    Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen Don't Breathe, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment