Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Monday, August 22, 2016

Kubo and the Two Strings Review

Kubo and the Two Strings


Kubo:  "If you must blink, do it now. Pay careful attention to everything you see. No matter how unusual it may seem. If you look away, even for an instant, then our hero will surely perish."



    Kubo and the Two Strings is directed by Travis Knight (directorial debut!) and stars Art Parkinson as Kubo, Charlize Theron as Monkey, Matthew McConaughey as Beetle, Rooney Mara as The Sisters, Brenda Vaccaro as Kameyo, Ralph Fiennes as Moon King, George Takei as Hosato, and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Hashi.




Our heroes are a monkey, a beetle man thing, and a kid...awesome!



    Kubo, an imaginative and spirited boy, accidentally calls upon the Moon King who, throughout Kubo's life, wants Kubo to join him in immortality; to basically spit on the humans he has grown to know and love. Now the world he knows has come to a crashing halt because he is on his own without his mother, who has protected him from the Moon King, to try and find the armor of his long lost warrior of a father that can protect him from the evil that's chasing him. Along the way, Kubo meets strange accomplices that join him on his mission, but many obstacles, that which no kid should have to witness, stand in his way.




One of those obstacles are two evil sisters that look creepy as hell.



    Laika is the company behind Kubo and the Two Strings, along other stop motion animation films like ParaNorman, Coraline, and The Boxtrolls. With these powerhouse films on their resume, Laika should have no problem continuing this greatness or even exceeding it, right? RIGHT??? Yes. Kubo and the Two Strings is really friggin' good. I enjoyed this movie from beginning to end, starting off with the captivating visuals. Holy moly, is stop motion animation so satisfying to see in this day and age of film. Of course there are some 3D aspects to this film, like lighting or even the magic that comes out of the instrument's strings that Kubo plucks (I don't want to assume it's a guitar, mandolin, or other strings instrument if I'm not totally positive). However, despite there being some 3D animation, almost 95% of Kubo and the Two Strings is done with clay or wood. This looks absolutely gorgeous. I can't even take a guess as to how many hours the animation department took to make all the details look this perfect. I'm afraid if I guess, the number will be too low. Stop motion animation is in my top 5 favorite subgenres of films, therefore I do give the film some slack if it's not up to standards with movies like The Godfather or Citizen Kane. Even though Kubo and the Two Strings isn't a perfect movie, I don't have a problem saying that almost everything about it is fun and entertaining, especially the animation style.




Even Kubo's amazed at the world surrounding him.



    I was on the fence on whether I liked the incorporation of important mature subject matters in a kid's movie or the animation more. It was a close call, but I want to put the animation above that. The thing is, the more I think about it, Kubo and the Two Strings uses the animation to its advantage to get the mature themes to kids. The action is awesome and it's just what a kid wants and is used to, but the theme of dealing with death and grieving about it is blended with it's fantastic form of showmanship. I'm not even joking, this film is one color change away from becoming a dark fairy tale filled with scary monsters and death. Luckily, Laika sure knows how to maintain a color palate suited for children and adults. This keeps the children entertained while subconsciously wondering about grief and what it means. Yeah, I'm sure you're thinking that isn't a good idea and it sounds like the opposite of what we should be teaching kids; to not be depressed, however, it's important to show the youth to be prepared for life and that not everything is going to be fine and dandy. Good things come out of bad situations and Kubo and the Two Strings shows us that. We can celebrate death, we can mourn for those who have died in our past, we can do whatever we want to deal with a loss, but in the end, we just have to remember them for the good times and be happy that we even met those people. That lesson is in a damn kids movie!




Mom! I can handle it! You don't have to treat me like a little kid! Gosh!



    I said earlier that this movie isn't perfect. Well, I abide by that, however the only problem for me is the pacing of some scenes. Now I'm just nitpicking. I normally don't like to do that. I mean, the entirety of the Kubo and the Two Strings is fun, it's engaging, it's heart-warming/heart-wrenching at times, and it's beautiful to look at. There were just those moments where I had problems following the footsteps of our heroes. There's are many scenes where someone blacks out or throws something (to the audience) and it suddenly cuts to black. Fade in and the climax of the event has just passed and we never get to see the action of the outcome. We just see the outcome. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but as an example: there is a scene where Monkey is fighting one of the evil twin sisters that's hunting Kubo on a boat in the middle of a storm. They fight, Monkey talks smack or something, she lunges towards the evil sister trying to kill her and then...cut to black. Kubo and Beetle swim to the surface of the water to the boat, Monkey is on a broken plank of the boat holding the evil sister's mask. This happens like 6 times throughout the movie. I understand that this is a kid's movie and there shouldn't be any blood, but come on. There should be some sort of continuous fight scene that doesn't cut out any awesome details or dialogue. Anyways, I'm feeling way too hung up on such a minor thing. Overall, this little flaw didn't take away any of the fun I had during Kubo and the Two Strings.




He's got him!...What? WHAT?! Why'd it just cut to black?!?!



    Adult thematic material, truly enchanting stop motion animation, and fun action are what makes Kubo and the Two Strings a marvel. There might be some scary parts for kids, what with all the monsters and spirits, but most kids should be able to handle this film. I don't understand how Laika does it. There are way too many factors as to how magical the experience of Kubo and the Two Strings is. I also quickly want to mention that there is a great score here. This film is titled after a kid and his two stringed instrument. Do you think the score is going to be terrible? If it was, I would be very disappointed, but it wasn't so I am not. YAY!  Please don't skip out on, what I think is for sure, one of the best film of the year.



4.8/5



PRO
  •    Amazing stop motion animation work
  •    Adult themes mixed with children's film shell
  •    Fun and cool action scenes

CON
  •    Some pacing issues



Kubo and the Two Strings is rated PG for thematic elements, scary images, action and peril

Click here to watch the trailer

Kubo and the Two Strings is in theaters everywhere now



    Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen Kubo and the Two Strings, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment