Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Check This One Out! - The General




Check This One Out! - The General



Johnnie Gray: "If you lose this war, don't blame me!"


      The General is directed by Buster Keaton (Seven Chances, Sherlock Jr., The Navigator)  and Clyde Bruckman (A Perfect Gentleman, Movie Crazy, Everything's Rosie) and stars Buster Keaton as Johnnie Gray, Marion Mack as Annabelle Lee, Jim Farley as General Thatcher, Glen Cavender as Captain Anderson, Charles Henry Smith as Annabelle's Father, and Frank Barnes as Annabelle's Brother.



Buster Keaton: actor, director, writer, stunt man, and professional badass


      Desperate to join the Confederate Army to make his fiancée, Annabelle, happy, Johnnie Gray tries to sneak into the army with just as much physical humor to stand up to Charlie Chaplin's. However, the Confederate Army think Johnnie is much too valuable to join the army because of his present job: an engineer for a locomotive. Sadly, Johnnie is given the cold shoulder by Annabelle since he isn't in uniform. As time passes, the fight between the Confederacy and the Union grows so much that Annabelle is kidnapped by the Union who uses  Johnnie's locomotive to escape. Johnnie must fight the Union and save Annabelle, his one true love. With slapstick humor piled on top of slapstick humor, the straight-faced Buster Keaton creates a classic comedy, made in 1926, that still stands up to today's comedies.



Having to hold a giant wooden post on your body while on the front of a train is totally worth saving the love of your life...wait that wasn't the only thing he had to endure? Oh boy.


      The General is a 1926 silent film and one hell of a film in general (no pun intended). I saw this film for the first time in a film class I took previously, but re-watched it again recently because I laughed my ass off at the majority of the slapstick humor involved. Not to mention, I watched it again for the appreciation of people who went all out to make films in the silent film era, especially of this magnitude. These were the early years of film making thus everything from camera work, cinematography, set design/props, and acting was still a work in progress. Buster Keaton managed to not only star, but he directed and wrote this masterpiece. A monumental amount of props also goes to him for doing his own stunt work. For the most part, there were no stunt men or stunt women working in this era so the actors had to do most of the stunts themselves. Knowing that and seeing the crazy s**t that Buster Keaton did in this movie (almost killing him multiple times) is the major point that I appreciate most about this film. Enough about me appreciating The General though. This is also a film that has a lot of laughs and that still stands well to this day even when we have films with hilarious dialogue like Airplane, 40 Year Old Virgin, Ghostbusters (1984), Hot Fuzz, Tropic Thunder, and Old School. The list keeps going, but I just wanted to stop there. The story is, while possibly socially unacceptable now, is definitely an entertaining one. I enjoyed Johnnie going to all the trouble, fumbles and all, to rescue his lover. I personally believe that Buster Keaton in The General, along with Charlie Chaplin's genius in his films, paved the way for the films that we consider modern comedy classics today.



Oh God, Buster! No! Get your head out of there! Why would you even consider that being a good idea?!


      In spite of being made in the mid 1920's and being a silent movie (which I personally consider most of them boring, but can still be appreciated), The General is a film that is both hilarious and awe inspiring in terms of what people in the earlier part of the last century could do on camera. Plus, being able to purchase a train in that time just so it can be demolished is pretty f***ing amazing, if you ask me. It's hard for me to even think about getting a small student loan without the awareness of the "Is it worth it?" mentality, but Buster Keaton and his team went for it and, to my knowledge, had to be very, very, VERY careful on how to destroy a train during the right moments and shots. It's crazy. Buster Keaton is crazy, in the best way possible.



And to top it all off, a little clip of that expensive and majestic scene.


The General is not rated

Click here to watch the trailer

The General is available for digital download, Blu-ray and DVD


      Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to get updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen The General, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment