Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Ghostbusters Review

Ghostbusters


Erin Gilbert: "That stuff went everywhere, by the way. In every crack. Very hard to wash off."

Me: *Facepalm*


      Ghostbusters is directed by Paul Feig (The Heat, Bridesmaids, Spy) and stars Kristen Wiig as Erin Gilbert, Melissa McCarthy as Abby Yates, Kate McKinnon as Jillian Holtzmann, Leslie Jones as Patty Tolan, Chris Hemsworth as Kevin, Neil Casey as Rowan North, Cecily Strong as Jennifer Lynch, Andy Garcia as Mayor Bradley, Michael Kenneth Williams as Agent Hawkins, Matt Walsh as Agent Rorke, Zach Woods as Tour Guide, and Ed Begley Jr. as Ed Mulgrave.



To the person who came up with the slogan 'women can be funny too': We know. They can be funny. It's not something that needs to be announced. These women are very funny at what they do!


      Science Professor Erin Gilbert is seeking her childhood and old ghost hunter friend Abby Yates for a favor, but she eventually ends up forming a team known as the Ghostbusters with Abby, Abby's assistant, Jillian Holtzmann, and a subway officer, Patty Tolan. With their science background and New York city landscape knowledge, the four women start this ghost hunting business and immediately get titled as "frauds" by ghost debunkers. Despite the misunderstanding from society, the Ghostbusters try to continue their work when someone tries to open up a portal so that ghosts can come through to our world. Now it's up to the Ghostbusters to save the world from slimy chaos.



Let's catch some ghosts!


      We all know the trailers weren't good, but that doesn't mean that the Ghostbusters movie couldn't be good, right? RIGHT? It is, I guess. Well, it's at least better than expected. The internet wanted to hate this movie so much that the first trailer currently actually has 270, 243 likes 946, 497 dislikes on YouTube. People, understandably, didn't want their childhood movie, a good movie, to be butchered and from first glance of the trailer, people took it apart by saying that the nothing was funny, bad actress choices, lack of original cast, blah, blah, blah. The only thing I agreed with was the humor. I didn't find the trailers all that funny and it just seemed like a cashgrab; throwing joke after joke. The finished product, however, is much better than the trailers and doesn't deserve the hate that it got. Unfortunately, if a reboot is going to happen, that reboot better be as good, if not better than the original or else there wouldn't be a point in rebooting the movie. Ghostbusters did not do that. The magic of seeing Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, Dan Aykroyd, and Ernie Hudson running around New York hunting ghosts is not captured with these four actresses. The original is just too much of a classic. This also isn't to say that the 2016 version is unfunny or bad. Not at all, actually. It's just mediocre. I think that the reason Ghostbusters is actually not that bad is because of the leads' chemistry, especially that of Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig. Leslie Jones hasn't really been a lead in a blockbuster like this, so props to her for not going over the top and staying somewhat grounded in an otherworldly movie like this. Kate McKinnon is a hit-or-miss actress in Ghostbusters. Her character was the problem actually: Holtzmann is too much of a cartoon character and yeah, this is a cartoon-ish kind of movie, but she didn't fit into this film for most of the action she was contributing to. She is actually the over the top, funny-face-making person, not Leslie Jones. These actresses are f***ing hilarious in the most of the movies that they're in. The script in Ghostbusters just isn't as great or as funny as Bridesmaids or Spy, two hits from director Paul Feig. I wouldn't count this as  a cashgrab movie either, though. The four leads were fantastic and tried very hard with the script.



To be honest, Chris Hemsworth, as dumb as his character is in this movie, made me laugh the most.


      There's not too much to say about a movie that was just alright. Ghostbusters never amazed me, but it never let me down. I know that's what I've pretty much been saying, but in all honesty, Ghostbusters was just that: it was "meh". The special effects were very enjoyable, actually. This includes the action that I didn't think Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones, and Kate McKinnon could do. I know that might sound rude, or for you extremists, sexist, but they have never proved that they could do that kind of acting in the past (except maybe for McCarthy). In any case, the action scenes with the ghosts surprised me in a good way. The proton packs have cool upgrades and it's pretty neat to see them in action. However, special effects, more or less, go hand in hand with action and they just gradually get better with time. For example, the original Ghostbusters in 1984 had some pretty crappy special effects as compared to many of today's special effects. Still, the original Ghostbusters was revolutionary at the time with special effects, comedy, and horror; things the 2016 Ghostbusters isn't. Maybe it's just the wrong time to come out, but maybe all in all, a reboot is just unnecessary. Who knows...



Slimer is back!


      In the end, Ghostbusters isn't a film to pick at and it isn't a film to praise. It's kind of just there for our enjoyment. I legitimately had fun watching this movie and I think that's really all that matters for a blockbuster of this magnitude;  not an Oscar contender, by any means, but a fun movie to watch with friends in the theater. This 2016 version should not destroy your favorite childhood (current) movie so go and watch it. This year's Ghostbusters is just a proven point that you shouldn't judge a movie by its trailer. Prove the internet wrong. Trust me, it'll oddly feel like an accomplishment.



3.1/5



PRO
  • The lead actresses' chemistry
  • Cool action scenes
  • Kinda actually funny, for the most part

CON
  • Doesn't capture any of the true magic the original has
  • Unnecessary...?



Ghostbusters is rated PG-13 for supernatural action and some crude humor

Click here to watch the trailer

Ghostbusters is in theaters everywhere



      Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to get updates in new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen Ghostbusters, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment