Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, July 2, 2016

The BFG Review



The BFG


Sophie: "Never get out of bed. Never go to the window. Never look behind the curtain. And that is where our story begins..."
 

      The BFG is directed by Steven Spielberg (Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, E.T., Raiders of the Lost Ark) and stars Mark Rylance as The BFG, Ruby Barnhill as Sophie, Jermaine Clemente as Fleshlumpeater, Penelope Wilton as The Queen, Rebecca Hall as Mary, Rafe Spall as Mr. Tibbs, and Bill Hader as Bloodbottler.



This is actually how big Mark Rylance is in real life.


      A little girl named Sophie is whisked away by a giant, known as the Big Friendly Giant, to giant country where human eating giants roam. Despite actually being a giant, BFG is actually a vegetarian and does not eat humans. Sophie becomes friends with the intimidating giant, but not so much with the other bullying giants who crave humans. It's up to Sophie and BFG to stop the other giants from moving from the giant realm to the human realm where they will be able to enjoy a never ending human buffet.



In hindsight, seeing these things eating people would be a hell of a nightmare.


      In regards to Steven Spielberg's filmography, The BFG is probably nowhere near his best. However, I think it would be very hard to beat Schindler's List, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, E.T., etc. and I did enjoy the hell out of this movie in part because of BFG himself and the charming world that this movie bases itself around. Seeing Sophie in this huge otherworldly world that consumes the viewer into a beautiful imaginative trance is the perfect movie for Steven Spielberg to direct. He tends to make those movies that leave you in awe; sometimes wonder and sometimes chaos. The larger than life BFG is part of that awe. Mark Rylance really does a tremendous job with motion capture, especially with up close shots of the extremely delightful BFG. Plus looking at those filthsome (yuck) snozzcumber (a vegetable that BFG eats) is an abnormally appealing sight that I didn't think I would like. I don't want to jump to quick conclusions, but I think this portrayal of a giant using motion capture technology is on par with what Andy Serkis does with Caesar in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Props for sure all of the "in awe" moments of this movie have to go to Roald Dahl for wonderful stories he's helped bring to the world like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (even though the classic film version substitutes Willy Wonka with Charlie in the title) , James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Witches, and now, The BFG. If you haven't read one of his books, doesn't even matter which one, please do yourself a childhood wonder favor and read one. His work will make you smile and appreciate life's beauties. It's absolutely phizz-wizzing (excellent)!



"Look into my eyes...you will see what you mean to me. Search your heart, search your soul and when you'll find me there you'll search no more" - Bryan Adams' (Everything I do) I Do It For You


      While The BFG does leave a viewer using their gogglers (eyes) to look at all the cool imagery, there are unexplained events/problems that are left unanswered by the end of the movie. I left muggles (confused) by some of the things that happened. The film never cares to explain what this other giant realm is, how it got there, why nobody has figured out how this is an actual portal people can go through, or any situation involving Majester (The Queen) not being super cautious about a giant going through her palace. I can understand that with a book like Roald Dahl's that this movie isn't one to take too seriously and it knows it's pretty frothbuggling (silly), but in the end, it's still a movie with important mysteries that seems to have their priorities all jumbly (mixed up). I feel like it relies too heavily on special effects and forgets that there is a script to go by. I don't mean that the script itself is bad or anything. What I mean is that while light on plot, the special effects just out shadow it by a huge majority. It's a perfectly well made children's film and that's all it is: a children's film that doesn't care about making sense.



Ha! Yeah, because nobody is going to notice a three story giant pointing a horn at an open window.


      In a weird way, I loved The BFG for not taking itself very seriously. We do need these kinds of movies nowadays where the story is fun enough for children to find lovable and adults to find entertaining enough. I truly believe that, while filled with holes, The BFG is a children's movie that, with time, can be a classic. Probably not Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory classic, but I mean more James and the Giant Peach classic. I mean this movie has been in development hell for almost twenty five years, for crying out loud! Also, isn't it a shame that Gene Wilder turned down a role in The BFG, though? I'm sure that would've been the greatest cameo or role of all time. In any case, I'm so glad Steven Spielberg picked up the mantle to direct a charming movie like this. Rest in peace, Mr. Dahl and thank you for all the phizzwizzards (great dreams) and some trogglehumpers (absolutely frightful dreams) from that boat scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.


3.8/5


PRO 

  • Awe inspiring cinematography
  • Motion capture by Mark Rylance
  • Perfectly well made children's movie

CON 

  • Never stops to explain itself
  • Light on plot and relies too much on special effects 


The BFG is rated PG for action/peril, some scary moments and brief rude humor

Click here to watch the trailer

The BFG is in theaters everywhere now


      Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to get updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen The BFG, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment