Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates ***EXPLICIT*** Review

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
 

Mike Stangle: "What's next? I'm gonna walk in on mom giving dad a push-pop?"
Dave Stangle: "What's a push-pop?"
Mike Stangle: "It's a sexual term that I just made up."
Dave Stangle: "WHAT'S A PUSH-POP?!?!"
Mike Stangle: "It's a whole hand up the ass, David!"
Dave Stangle: "Oh God!" 
Mike Stangle: "TWO HANDS! PUSHING THE POP! PUSHING THE POP!"


      Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates is directed by Jake Szymanski (7 Days in Hell TV movie) and stars Adam Devine as Mike Stangle, Zac Efron as Dave Stangle, Anna Kendrick as Alice, Aubrey Plaza as Tatiana, Sugar Lyn Beard as Jeanie Stangle, Stephen Root as Burt Stangle, Stephanie Faracy as Rosie Stangle, Sam Richardson as Eric, and Alice Wetterlund as Cousin Terry.



Look at this squad of good looking people...Fuck me, this isn't even fair!


      Two brothers, Mike and Dave Stangle, are asked by their parents to bring nice and respectable dates to the brothers' younger sister Jeanie's wedding since every time they go solo to family events, they fuck it all up and ruin everybody else's' good time. Best friends, Alice and Tatiana, are in a slump with life (meaning they fuck everything up too) and they need a vacation and when they see Mike and Dave's ad for a free trip to Hawaii to attend Jeanie's wedding with them. They go the other route of lying their asses off to the Stangle brothers and get a free trip to Hawaii. Events throughout the wedding trip happen to the point where Mike and Dave are wondering who these girls they brought actually are. This was based on real fucking people...let that sink in. That's crazy isn't it?



OK, well now that I see these guys, I can comfortably use my judgement skills to say these guys look like they would cause some chaos.


      Just like every other raunchy comedy these days, Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates has the "what the fuck?" factor and unlike many of the modern raunchiness, this one actually works for the most part. I enjoyed a lot of the improvisation that was used here. I could tell that much of the humor is improvisation because the times that it is used, it's kind of easy to tell. References to celebrities/pop culture and funny and weird analogies are a couple of ways to differentiate screenplay from improv. I applaud the cast for doing because it worked for my taste. I enjoy raunchiness, but not for the sake of just grossing people out. It has to weave its way into the characters and the plot, which, like I said, works, but for the percentage of the times that it didn't work, it seems like it's a cartoon. By this, I mean that what people say and what people do in Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates doesn't have any consequences. It's almost as if this movie is a season premiere of a show that could be on HBO or late night Comedy Central. When the start of the next episode comes around, the last episode appears to have no impact on this new episode. It's almost unbelievable, in a getting-away-with-the-law kind of way. I also get that this is supposed to be based on a true story (an interview with Zac Efron and Adam Devine revealed that like 70% of the movie is actually real. Fucking insane, right?), but in all reality, Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates is probably amped up in the script to have more of a fantastical feel.



...and in the end, it's all fine and dandy. No? Real life wouldn't allow that? Well at least it provided some good laughs.


      Despite the zany and fantastical events that Mike and Dave cause and go through, I really did like the chemistry between Adam Devine as Mike and Zac Efron as Dave. These two are around the same age and good looking dudes, so naturally, they would work together. I don't think that's how that really works, but these guys pulled it off here. For God's sake, they even started talking in 2014 about how they could be brothers when they did some promotion for Neighbors! Plus, the culmination of Aubrey Plaza's and Anna Kendrick's talent adds onto the chemistry. These four comedy newcomers work incredibly well together and, from hearing about the cast near the beginning of the year, this is what I expected: fucking hilariousness. The secondary characters even had their chance to shine on the screen. Cousin Terry has some uncomfortable scenes which are fucking gut busters, Eric has his toned down moments leading to an entertaining and explosive ending, and Jeanie has her goody good personality that expands to a strange openness with drugs and nudity. All of the characters have their funny moments and, to add to this film's benefit, the humor is consistent; something that all comedies need in order not to be boring as shit.



Bros for life, bro!


      I know these kinds of movies all too well to know that with raunchy humor, comes raunchy characters. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates has these characters, for sure, but unfortunately, they aren't likable. This goes mainly for the four main characters who, as I said before, have great chemistry and are funny. This doesn't necessarily mean they are likable. Sure, they have some sort of charming element with how well they play off each other, but I couldn't find myself rooting for them or even caring about their outcome. For all I care, Mike and Dave could've gone to prison to get butt fucked by other prisoners and Alice and Tatiana could've died. That was a bit dark. I'm sorry. However, my feelings towards the CHARACTERS stands. Mike is a fucking dick to everyone, Dave is a meat head (who actually isn't unlikable, but rather a "meh" character), Alice is a desperate-for-sex drug addict, and Tatiana is an overall trainwreck. I like the actors, just not the actual characters.



If these characters didn't exist in their world, it would be sooooo much better.


      I don't want to say Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates is top tier, but it's also not bad at all. It's an average comedy that holds up this year (as compared to good amount of shit comedies we've seen this year). If you want to laugh your ass off with mindless crude, and I mean CRUDE, humor, Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates is a good choice. Everyone needs to let out once in a while. Let me put it this way: if you have the unfortunate moment when a friend asks, "Let's go see Independence Day: Resurgence," you'll have the day-saving ability to say, "Hey! let's not! I heard Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates is actually pretty funny. Let's go see that!"


3.1/5


PRO
  • Raunchiness works, for the most part, throughout
  • Chemistry between four main actors
  • Secondary characters are useful with comedy routine

CON
  • Unrealistic "true story" that holds no consequences; a cartoon, if you will
  • No character was actually likable



Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates is rated R for crude sexual content, language throughout, drug use and some graphic nudity

Click here to watch the trailer

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates is in theaters everywhere now



      Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to get updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment