Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Star Trek Beyond Review

Star Trek Beyond


Kirk: "We got no ship, no crew, how're we going to get out of this one?"

Spock: "We will find hope in the impossible."



      Star Trek Beyond is directed by Justin Lin (Fast and Furious 6, Fast Five, Fast and Furious) and stars Chris Pine as Captain James T. Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Commander Spock, Karl Urban as Doctor 'Bones' McCoy, Simon Pegg as Montgomery 'Scotty' Scott, Zoe Saldana as Lieutenant Uhura, Anton Yelchin as Chekov, John Cho as Sulu, Sofia Boutella as Jaylah, and Idris Elba as Krall.



Damn. A good looking Enterprise crew!


      Captain James T. Kirk returns with the Enterprise crew in this third installment in the Star Trek franchise to expand the Federation by exploring new areas of the universe. When a rescue mission on a new planet is tasked to the crew, a surprise attack by new villain Krall destroys the USS Enterprise, sends them tumbling into the new uninhabited planet, drags them into survival mode to find their way off the planet and to stop Krall from continuing with his bad guy plans. Without the Enterprise ship to help out, Kirk and crew now have their most difficult challenge ahead of them.



Idris Elba gets like this when he hasn't had his daily Twinkie.


      I have to be honest when I say that Star Trek Beyond never truly excited me from the announcement of the film or the trailers. Maybe it was the way the premiere trailer was put together, a generic action summer blockbuster, or maybe it was the way the Star Trek reboot series has been going south with Star Trek Into Darkness (which I actually enjoyed, for the most part, but not as much as the first one). However, I proud to say that Star Trek Beyond is steering this rebooted series into the right path into future Star Trek adventures. I love how adventurous the script of Star Trek Beyond is willing to go, in terms of universal/planetary travel. This movie takes the Enterprise crew to an unknown area of the universe which is so interesting to me, and probably to everyone. That discovery of the unknown is so beautiful even if we can only see it through a film like Star Trek Beyond. This exploring of the cosmos has always been a trademark of Star Trek: "to go where no man has gone before". So I commend the screenwriters, who surprisingly are two people I didn't expect to make such a fantastic space adventure movie: Simon Pegg, who has written and starred in movies like Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End, and Doug Jung, who has really only written for TV shows in the past. I found Star Trek Beyond funny when it needed to be, action packed when it needed to be, sweet when it needed to be, and it never overstayed it's welcome. I had fun throughout the whole movie.



New discoveries await!


      When you think Star Trek, what is the one thing you think? It might just be a character or an actor who played that character. Don't lie to yourself, that's probably what you're thinking. I mean, I personally think of William Shatner saying weird stuff in the talk...ing then...pausing way he speaks. Anyways, with iconic characters such as Kirk and Spock, there is a large margin for error if each member of the crew doesn't get a good amount of screen time. Luckily, Star Trek Beyond is character rich, and that includes new characters. While we all know how deep the connection between the Captain and the Commander of the Enterprise goes, the one relationship that we don't see much of and is actually explored even more in Star Trek Beyond is the relationship between Bones and Spock. Bones, the sarcastic doctor, plays really well off of the literal Spock, and vice versa. Again, this is due to the wonderful script that Pegg and Jung wrote. Not only is this relationship unfolded more so than in other Star Trek reboot films, but the crew, including Uhura, Solo, and Chekov, get a good bulk of time to show how their commitment and faith to each other's skills goes. Family is the word that comes to mind after seeing this movie. It's also something that Justin Lin uses a lot in his Fast and Furious movies. It was truly a great choice to make Lin the director of this tight niche cast. To add onto these previously seen characters, the new characters like Jaylah and Krall are fantastic auras to this universe. To be perfectly frank, Jaylah stole the entire movie for me. Her make-up is not only cool as hell, but she kicked ass. Lots of it! She never is boring to watch on screen and I think that her, being a new character introduction, willingness/stubbornness to learn from engineer Scotty and her relationship with him showed that perfectly. Krall is nothing like the ingenious Khan, but he does what he can to stand up to the likes of an icon like him. For the majority of the film, his plans and his inspiration to do evil deeds is kept secret, which is a little annoying, but I can definitely say that when it was revealed, I was on board. I just don't think I ever felt Krall made as big of an impact as Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness or the Romulans in Star Trek.



Jaylah is the badass alien woman with the sniper, just for those of you who are curious.


      How Justin Lin created this world coming off of his success in the Fast and Furious franchise is mind blowing. However, I can see similarities in the action: over the top, at times, but still awesome. Star Trek Beyond feels like a Star Trek film, except it has a bit of an upgrade with CGI, obviously. The scene in the first act with the surprise attack on the Enterprise is one of the better action scenes I have seen this summer (still number one is the airport scene in Captain America: Civil War). Thumbs up to most of the CGI. There are some times I could spot some poor CGI for sure and it just didn't work, but overall it's a fun action film. Along with the script surprising the hell out of me, the score is phenomenal. The strings from the introduction of Starbase Yorktown are beautiful. It takes me back to films that gives off a sense of awe and amazement. Personally, I believe that Michael Giacchino is the unsung hero of Star Trek Beyond.



Yeah! Risk ourselves to get the cool shot! It looks awesome as hell!


      Star Trek Beyond is like getting a visit from your best friend that you haven't seen in a couple of years: you heard about his/her visit, you hope they didn't change, they drop by when you didn't see him/her coming, you're extremely happy that they're the same person they've always been, they tell you that they'll visit again later, but you still have some cool local friends that you hang out with so you don't get bored. I know it sounds super weird to compare Star Trek Beyond to that kind of experience, but think about it. It's pretty accurate. I'm so happy the Star Trek reboots are now going into the direction that the original series set out to do and visit unexplored locations. Best of all, we get to share these adventures with the Enterprise crew. Live long and prosper, everybody!


4.5/5


PRO
  • Takes advantage of universe; opens up opportunities for more Enterprise adventures
  • Characters that we love each have good amount of screen time
  • Script is fantastic
  • Cool fun action

CON
  • Sort of an underwhelming villain



Star Trek Beyond is rated PG-13 for sci-fi action and violence

Click here to watch the trailer

Star Trek Beyond is in theaters everywhere now



      Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen Star Trek Beyond, comment and let me know what you think. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment