Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, October 8, 2016

The Birth of a Nation Review

The Birth of a Nation


Nat Turner: "Brethren, I pray you sing a new song. Sing praise in the assembly of the righteous. Let the saints be joyful in glory. Let the high praises of God be in their mouths of the saints and a two edged sword in their hand to execute vengeance on the demonic nations and punishments on those people to bind their kings with chains! Dishonor have all his saints! Praise the Lord! Praise the lord! Sing to him a new song!"



     The Birth of a Nation is directed by Nate Parker (directorial debut) and stars Nate Parker as Nat Turner, Armie Hammer as Samuel Turner, Penelope Ann Miller as Elizabeth Turner, Jackie Earle Haley as Raymond Cobb, Aja Naomi King as Cherry, Aunjanue Ellis as Nancy, Colman Domingo as Hark, Esther Scott as Bridget, Mark Boone Junior as Reverend Zalthall, Gabrielle Union as Esther, Roger Guenveur Smith as Isaiah, Katie Garfield as Catherine Turner, Jason Stuart as Joseph Randall, Jayson Warner Smith as Earl Fowler, Dominic Bogart as Hank Fowler, Kai Norris as Jasper, Chris Green as Nelson, Kelvin Harrison Jr. as Simon, and Tony Espinosa as Young Nat Turner.




Putting his past aside, Nate Parker makes an impressive mark as a first time director for a feature length film.



     Pre-Civil War America; slavery was a popular business among white people in the southern states. The true story of Nat Turner begins when as a child he notices little differences as to why he is treated so differently by people, more specifically white people: because he is a slave. Growing up, he learns to be literate and becomes a preacher. Nat, commanded by his white childhood friend/master, is taken to different plantations around where he lives to preach to his fellow slaves. He does so because white masters want someone of their kind to help them "calm down" and not to rebel. Throughout his journey of preaching, Nat sees the cruel torture and gross habits of what white people do to black people, especially to his friends and family. Unfortunately, if anyone knows the story of Nat Turner, he starts an uprising of black slaves who slaughtered around 55 to 65 white people (men, women, and children). His story is a reminder of what slavery can do to a person; any person on whichever side.




Definitely not the movie to take your 5 year-old to.



     Let me get one thing out of the way: the alleged crime that Nate Parker was tried for is not going to influence me in any way from the movie. My review isn't the time or the place to have the conversation of a disgusting act that may or may not have happened. I mainly just want to focus on The Birth of a Nation instead. What's ironic is that the connection of the director's alleged past actions isn't too different from what happens in the movie. But by God, is this movie powerful as hell. The Birth of Nation takes a part of history that we haven't seen enacted on the big screen: Nat Turner's Rebellion. The controversial stain in American history is prevalent in today's society, even if it's sort of under the table racism. I believe that if someone has a voice, it has to be heard, but the nature of slavery doesn't really call for that and I can sympathize for Nate Parker. I'm not going to sit here and write how much I understand the reasoning behind an insurrection that killed a number of people because I honestly don't. The same goes for today's society. I can't empathize, but I can sympathize. That's what this movie does and it goes for it. I have no doubt that some people will have a different opinion on how much preaching, no pun intended, Nat Turner does in order to get the message across to us in just how bad slaves had it back then. I'd tell those critics that every book, every part of history always sends the same message of slavery being a bad thing. Human nature now is always attracted to what abolitionists did so that slaves could be free. In going along with that idea, I don't think people, including expert historians, really have a clear understanding of just how bad slaves were treated. I guess it's just one of those things that you won't understand until it's experienced: you can't empathize, but you can sympathize. I'm by no means a professional in American history or sociology, but I do know that the majority of people in the United States , or in the world, for that matter, know the abuse that slaves had. I can vouch for how well the film let's you feel this because of how well the acting is too. Nate impresses me the more I think about it. He acted in, directed, and had written the script for The Birth of a Nation. There is one specific moment that happened to Nat's wife where she is lying in a bed after she had been raped. A long well timed shot of him crying over his wife's body while she is reciting a prayer is so moving that I, honestly, had a tear in my eye. It was a heart wrenching point for Nat. You could see it in his eyes just how bad he was hurt, not to mention his wife. Films like 12 Years A Slave, Glory, Amistad, and Django Unchained (even with Quentin Tarantino's mark) are some of the only well known films that have been released in theaters in the past couple of decades dealing with the issue of slavery. This is why I truly believe that The Birth of a Nation is an important film to be seen in the midst of racial tension today.




1830's racism at its finest (or is that its worst?).



     While its importance and the admiration for putting this movie out there now is perfect, The Birth of a Nation shows flaws in the narrative. Things just happen all of a sudden. What I mean is that sometimes there is no build up to an event or turning point of some sorts. I'm not saying it should be predictable, but there should be growing tension for that certain turnaround. Nat's relationship with Sam Turner suddenly falling apart should have had more of a buildup. At the beginning, it seemed like Nat and Sam, as young kids, were friends. While it looks that way, 22 years later, Sam is Nat's master, being protective and lenient with him. Then when Sam realizes that the "Turner" name could be well known to a lot more people, he becomes aggressively harsher to Nat.  It's almost to the point where you were childhood friends with someone, kept hanging out with them for 22 years, they hadn't changed much besides mature with you, then one day they turn 180 degrees and act like a total dick and bully you. What the hell is up with that? That may be a longer analogy than I wanted it to have been, but you get the point. Anyways, totally climactic moments happen mainly for the sake of showing brutality. What's unfortunate about these parts is that by the end, the act where the rebellion actually is formed, looks and feels amazing. Why unfortunately? Well it's because the rebellion is only in the last 20 or 30 minutes while the rest of the film is just set up so that the rebellion could actually happen. Yeah, it's Nat's story, however it's very cinematic telling of it. For sure, a film being too cinematic isn't always a bad thing. The Birth of a Nation is based off of history though. The filmmakers (really just Nate Parker) should be inclined to show people a wider look into what else, besides Nate Parker's desire for vengeance, made all of this possible. It sounds like I'm looking for a history lesson. I'm not. I'm just wanting more of a build up for an event that shaped American history. The Birth of a Nation could have been handled a little better, concerning the storytelling.




Jackie Earle Haley's character is also the convenient villain that appears everywhere to remind us that people were terribly f***ing racist back then.



     What I absolutely loved about The Birth of a Nation is its devotion to show the audience a little bit of pre-Civil War American history that most people don't really know about. There are clear blemishes that Nate Parker makes, but as a first time director for a feature length film? Great job! He definitely has the potential to make films that allow people to think and feel well long after seeing the movie. That's a skill that many filmmakers seek to have. If he just works on how to develop the depth of his stories, I think he can really prove himself to be as great as Roman Polan- Whoops! That almost slipped out.



4.0/5



PRO
  • Important moment in history captured on film
  • Acting is powerful


CON
  • Narrative flaws in build up
  • Relies on brutality and look of the movie a little too much



The Birth of a Nation is rated R for disturbing violent content, and some brief nudity

Click here to watch the trailer

The Birth of a Nation is in theaters now



     Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen The Birth of a Nation, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment