Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Check This One Out! - Prisoners

Check This One Out! - Prisoners


Keller Dover: "Pray for the best, but prepare for the worst."



     "Prisoners" is directed by Denis Villeneuve ("Sicario", "Enemy", "Incendies") and stars Hugh Jackman as Keller Dover, Jake Gyllenhaal as Detective Loki, Terrence Howard as Franklin Birch, Viola Davis as Nancy Birch, Maria Bello as Grace Dover, Paul Dano as Alex Jones, Melissa Leo as Holly Jones, Dylan Minnette as Ralph Dover, Zoë Soul as Eliza Birch, Erin Gerasimovich as Anna Dover, Kyla-Drew Simmons as Joy Birch, Len Cariou as Father Patrick Dunn, and Wayne Duvall as Captain Richard O'Malley.




Loki and Wolverine together...coincidence?



     On a Thanksgiving afternoon, 6-year-olds Anna Dover and Joy Birch are mysteriously kidnapped. This leaves the four parents living a nightmare they will never forget. Detective Loki, allegedly always having solved his assignments, is tasked with bringing back the two girls. His only lead is a man named Alex Jones, a young adult with the mindset of a kid, who was seen as the driver of a trailer near the scene of the kidnapping. Unable to attain evidence that Alex took the kids, Loki is legally supposed to let him go from holding. Keller Dover, Anna's father and furious as hell, instantly took action upon Alex after the police freed him. It's a "how far would you go to save your child or someone you love?" situation and Keller goes the distance.




Would you tie someone to a furnace and beat the hell out of them to find your children? I mean, many people do it already, but this time it's goal-oriented.



     "Prisoners" is the film that solidified Denis Villeneuve as one of my favorite directors working right now. Although he doesn't have the extensive filmography that might back me up in my argument, the quality of his work is always fantastic. This film, especially, is a reminder to me that teamwork is a crucial part of making a great movie. Alongside Villeneuve, legendary cinematographer Roger Deakins creates a visual wonder that is dreary and cold, directly matching the tone of the movie. This is the first movie that these two talented men have created, the second one being "Sicario" and the third being the upcoming "Blade Runner 2049". When the directing and cinematography compenent of a film is nailed, my soft spot for loving this movie is hit. When I say that the tone of "Prisoners" is dreary and cold, I mean somber as can be and frozen to the bone. The film starts off happy, like any other movie, but it goes down the warm fuzzy feeling trail and never goes back up. I've mentioned in previous reviews that I have a tendency to watch many dark films. This is a great example of how dark those movies can go. Real people go through a totally plausible situation and it's really dependent on the parent to see how far they are willing to go for their kid. Not saying some love their kids more than others, but, pointing at parents here, would you torture or potentially kill someone not intelligent enough to tell you much in order to get an answer? It may or may not be the answer you're looking for, but could you? Could you and would you? It's easy to say that you would. However, saying and doing, as we all know, are completely different. That variable in grounded films is what catches my attention most. "Prisoners" captures it perfectly and with definite help from the actors and actresses portraying the hurt parents. I commend Hugh Jackman, Terrence Howard, Viola Davis, and Maria Bello. These four actors and actresses have kids. I could only imagine that they got into character by thinking that their kids were missing. They are all awesome in what they do, but I have a whole new standard for what each of them do after seeing "Prisoners": So good, each one of them. I want to stress that this is an intense film. Sometimes  it hurts to watch the talent oozing out of the film because of how easily you can fill the shoes of one of the parents. Once again, a reminder of the cooperation that works among cast and crew.




Another cinema powerhouse duo in the making.



     I have to say that "Prisoners" is about tied with another Villeneuve film, "Sicario", on my list of favorite movies of all time. Villeneuve knows the art of cinema and puts a lot of work going into choosing his cast and the crew he works behind the scenes with. This particular work of his had me feeling worried about my nonexistent children. Makes no sense, right? Exactly. I'll warn people again, it's not like this movie contains overblown violence and sex, but it's a movie that has realistic violence in a contained setting and a pragmatic mystery that can't be predicted until the very end. I enjoy the hell out of "Prisoners". It's a movie that with every watch, you learn more and more, just like a recent CTOO! I did of "Donnie Darko". Why is Jake Gyllenhaal in the most depressing and weirdest movies?




Yeah. Weird and depressing.



"Prisoners" is rated R for disturbing violent content including torture, and language throughout

Click here to watch the trailer

"Prisoners" is now available on DVD, Blu-ray, and digital download



     Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen "Prisoners", comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment