Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Check This One Out! - Donnie Darko

Check This One Out! - Donnie Darko



Donnie Darko: "Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?"

Frank: "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"



     Donnie Darko is directed by Richard Kelly (Southland Tales, The Box) and stars Jake Gyllenhaal as Donnie Darko, Jena Malone as Gretchen Ross, Mary McDonnell as Rose Darko, Holmes Osborne as Eddie Darko, Maggie Gyllenhaal as Elizabeth Darko, Daveigh Chase as Samantha Darko, Katherine Ross as Dr. Lilian Thurman, James Duval as Frank Anderson, Drew Barrymore as Karen Pomeroy, Patrick Swayze as Jim Cunningham, Beth Grant as Kitty Farmer, Noah Wyle as Dr. Kenneth Monnitoff, and Stuart Stone as Ronald Fisher.




That's Frank on the right. He's scary as s**t.



     Donnie Darko lives in a seemingly nice and modern suburban neighborhood. A close call allows him to depart from a bizarre accident of a jet engine going right into his house. After that traumatizing experience, Donnie withdraws himself from his family, school, and reality itself. He has been dealing with psychological issues for a while now, seeing someone in a demented bunny costume named Frank. He pops up every now and then to throw apocalyptic visions at Donnie and influencing him to commit a series of crimes. Time travel, hallucinations, parallel universes, love, and confusion shrouds this movie so much that, not only just being a great movie, it's now a cult classic.




Don't worry, it's even more confusing and better than how I just explained it.



     28 days. Donnie Darko was filmed in 28 days, which is ironically the amount of time Donnie has to "save the world" from its apocalypse. This film goes through some weird changes dealing with science, philosophies of life, and religion. There's undertones of many different themes that it's a little hard to keep track of. However, the first viewing sucks you right in through the wormhole. It's definitely a film that deserves more than one viewing; it allows you to think and make observations that other people may not see. I saw Donnie Darko for the first time in 2007. What attracted me about the movie was Frank. Frank the bunny. He is one of the most frightening character that I have seen in film history. The change in ambience due to only his presence is so overwhelming that his face has been ingrained in my mind ever since. Not as a good omen or a bad one; just a memory that there are people trying to help you and hurt you. I won't go into an analysis of Donnie Darko because that'll take WAY too long. If you want, the in-depth analysis is available online.  look more into the film and go down the rabbit hole, no pun intended. There are spoilers there, just as a warning. Anyways, Donnie Darko has more than just thought provoking dialogue/actions, the creepy and always wonderful Jake Gyllenhaal is the lead. His performance by no means is the best he's ever done (I'll give that award to his performance in Nightcrawler), but it set the bar for what he should strive for. He didn't do that until Brokeback Mountain in 2005. I think Donnie Darko is the first film that people got to see his weird dark side in acting. Phenomenal work, Jake! Props to the rest of the cast as well. Jena Malone does a fantastic job as Gretchen next to Jake's Donnie as his love interest. Jena brings a introverted and hurt character to the film, while still grounds Donnie so he won't float too far into space. I can't stress it enough: Donnie Darko make you think about a deeper meaning in life. It will and there's no going around it.




Wait. A funny stoner who gets mixed up with gun fights, a guy who yells in Drake & Josh, the candy counter girl from The Suite Life of Zack & Cody, and another funny stoner who kills monsters in a cabin built by the government? This is insane!



     The psychological thriller/drama Donnie Darko is on my top 20 favorite movies of all time. It's on there for good reason. With every watch, I learn something new. Sometimes it's something new about the movie (like a little Easter egg, detail that I missed, etc.) and sometimes it's something new on my view of what reality is or how I should deal with personal demons. Sure, while dealing with the idea of time travel you'll run into mistakes, but what time travel movie doesn't have mistakes? It's a paradox that can't be corrected perfectly by anyone. Still, it's the philosophical aspect of Donnie Darko that leads to my recommendation.




Have a fun trip...



Donnie Darko is rated R for language, some drug use and violence

Click here to watch the trailer

Donnie Darko is now available on DVD, Blu-ray, and digital download



     Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen Donnie Darko, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment