Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Check This One Out! - The Invitation

Check This One Out! - The Invitation 


Pruitt: "Forgiveness doesn't have to wait. I'm free to forgive myself and so are you. It's a beautiful thing. It really is."



     The Invitation is directed by Karyn Kusama (Æon Flux, Jennifer's Body, Girlfight) and stars Logan Marshall-Green as Will, Emayatzy Corinealdi as Kira, Lindsay Burge as Sadie, Michiel Huisman as David, John Carroll Lynch as Pruitt, Tammy Blanchard as Eden, Michelle Krusiec as Gina, Mike Doyle as Tommy, Jordi Vilasuso as Miguel, Jay Larson as Ben, Marieh Delfino as Claire, Aiden Lovekamp as Ty, and Toby Huss as Dr. Joseph.




This is too nice of a house for what's about to go down.



     Will and his wife, Kira, are invited to a dinner party hosted by Will's ex-wife, Sadie. Attending are all their friends, but she and her new husband, David, invite some mysterious guests to the private party. Then everyone starts acting a little stranger. Will becomes increasingly suspicious of why the odd couple gathered everyone and he realizes that things aren't all smiles and laughs. There's something much more ominous going on.




All smiles...nope.


     The Invitation is one of those clichéd films that we have all seen before. What a way to start off a quick review of a movie I'm recommending, right? While that may be true, the film plays to the clichés so well that it becomes a really good movie. Without spoiling anything, the twist in the movie is seen from miles away, but the reveal to the twist uses a slow and tension filled build-up that really draws the attention to think "when is it going to happen?!?!". Oh, that slow built tension. It pays off in the end with a horrifying and insane 30 minutes that, I kid you not, left my jaw open for the entirety of it. Honestly, throughout the first hour or so, I couldn't tell if there was a point to the creepiness or if it was just a boring horror/thriller. Looking back on it now, it all makes sense on why the screenwriters chose to take the direction that they did. Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi did a superb job using dialogue to build up the mysteriousness of some of the characters and using the tired old lines that we see in generic horrors to their strengths. Ultimately, The Invitation is a film about dealing with grief; some ways are helpful and some ways will just hurt you. It's all about the decisions that can, sooner or later, save you. To tie it in a pretty bloody knot around this movie is brilliant especially with such ambiguous characters. The character backgrounds of both the protagonists and antagonists are kept in secrecy for the most part. It helps to keep everyone a suspect in the case of The Invitation, even though you can guess who are the villains. I'm not really explaining myself to well as to why I think you should see this movie. I think there are two reasons: curling your fingers tighter and tighter every scene that someone reveals a little more about themselves and the finale of The Invitation. It's almost like a game of Clue that leaves you thinking when the bad person is going to pounce on the victim and ends gruesomely. One more point, the score is f****ing creepy!




Oh s**t! I'm not prepared to die in slacks! Let me at least wear a nice suit!



     The Invitation kind of stems away from traditional horror, even though it uses all the same tropes. It's sort of meta in a way. In a way, it brings the psychological horror movie themes that we see in Rosemary's Baby or The Shining to a new generation. To top it all off, the ending...that ending is so crazy that if I were actually a character in the movie, I would sit in a corner with a gun, tons of ammo, and some knives just to make sure I'm safe. Talk about a society that deals with internal problems in a bad way.




Take a good long look at yourself and see how it's, specifically, good for you to grieve.



The Invitation is not rated, but does contain language, violence, and nudity

Click here to watch the trailer

The Invitation is now available on DVD, Blu-ray, some streaming services, and digital download



     Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen The Invitation, comment and let me know what you think of it. I'll post another Check This One Out! next week. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment