Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Check This One Out! - Adventureland

Check This One Out! - Adventureland


James Brennan: "I am amazed at how tiny my paycheck is. I've been working doubles."

Joel: "Well, we are doing the work of pathetic, lazy morons."



     "Adventureland" is directed by Greg Mottola ("Superbad", "Paul", "The Daytrippers") and stars Jesse Eisenberg as James Brennan, Kristen Stewart as Em Lewin, Martin Starr as Joel, Ryan Reynolds as Mike Connell, Margarita Levieva as Lisa P., Matt Bush as Tommy Frigo, Paige Howard as Sue O'Malley, Dan Bittner as Prete O'Malley, Barret Hackney as Munch, Bill Hader as Bobby, Kristin Wiig as Paulette, Wendie Malick as Mrs. Brennan, Jack Gilpin as Mr. Brennan, Mary Birdsong as Francy, and Josh Pais as Mr. Lewin.




Two awkward-like people to play birds in love...perfect casting.



     After graduating college, James Brennan is excited and planning for his graduation present: a trip to Europe. However, his parents give him the news that they won't have enough money for that or to help pay his rent when he goes to Columbia University for his master's degree after the summer. Due to this unfortunate economical circumstance, James finds a job back in his hometown as a games carnie for Adventureland, an amusement park that may or may not be boring as hell. There he makes new friends, experiences actions that he's never experienced before, and finds love. Just your average summer job that you grow up at.



I would hate to have this job, but I would love to meet the people that work here.



     "Adventureland" really tugged on my heartstrings. Normally, I can connect with a character when they are vulnerable, as most people. That's when we see their inner shell exposed. James Brennan is always true to himself, as cheesy as that sounds. He's honest, even when he's trying to lie and I can really see myself as that person. Like James, I'm not perfect. However, what allowed me to really step into James' shoes is Jesses Eisenberg's ability to be an everyday man in "Adventureland". It's almost as if the filmmakers picked up a random nerd on the streets at college and set him in the movie. Maybe it's just how I perceive Jesse Eisenberg, but this role was perfect for him. I've seen him plenty of times trying too hard to play a character who is just not the right fit for him *cough, "BvS", cough*. The screenwriters deserve some mention as well for writing an honest movie about love and heartbreak too. It's hard to find those kinds of films while also incorporating top notch comedy and drama, but somehow they did it and with the help of a director whose previous film was a modern classic comedy: "Superbad". I can say many positive comments about this movie, but what surprised me most was Kristin Stewart. She was in the midst of her "Twilight" career when she did "Adventureland". Boy, oh, boy, was this a good move for her. She's blossomed into better roles recently and I truly believe that "Adventureland" showed off a bit of her talent and what she could be (how she is now). In most of the coming-of-age movies I've seen, the soundtrack really kicks ass. "Adventureland" is not one to strive away from that staple. The music is f***ing awesome! It's set in 1987 so of course the music is going to be good.




I also won't forget to acknowledge these two modern comedic powerhouses. Bill Hader and Kristin Wiig are once again funny as hell.



     Real love stories that are set within a summer are probably always going to get to me. I don't know why. Maybe it's just because I like real life situations that I've been curious about. Sorry about getting a little personal there. "Adventureland" captures the essence of growing up, even if it you're already an adult. You can still love, have your heartbroken, love again, laugh, and do drugs (this one is more of an option). Plus, the movie is f***ing funny! There's a character that always smacks James in the kid factory (if you know what I mean by that) and every time he shows up, I kind of cringe for the moment that he'll hit James. It's weird moments like that that remind me that "Adventureland" is real and beautiful. The impossibility is Ryan Reynolds being a character in my life.




Ryan Reynolds: "C'mon. Don't you want me to dress up as Deadpool while we make sweet, tender, disgusting, sweaty love?"



"Adventureland" is rated R for language, drug use, and sexual references

Click here to watch the trailer

"Adventureland" is now available on DVD, Blu-ray, digital download, and some streaming services



     Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen "Adventureland", comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment