Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Inferno Review

Inferno


Robert Langdon: "The greatest sins in human history were committed in the name of love."



     "Inferno" is directed by Ron Howard ("Apollo 13", "A Beautiful Mind", "The Da Vinci Code") and stars Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon, Felicity Jones as Sienna Brooks, Irrfan Khan as Harry Sims, Omar Sy as Christoph Bouchard, Ben Foster as Bertrand Zobrist, Sidse Babett Knudsen as Elizabeth Sinskey, Ana Ularu as Vayentha, and Ida Darvish as Marta Alvarez.




What it gig it must've been to shoot in a beautiful city like Venice.



     Robert Langdon is back in this third installation of Dan Brown's trilogy of thriller novels. In this chapter of his adventures, Langdon must solve the clues left behind by controversial billionaire Bertrand Zobrist to stop a fateful virus from killing half of the world's population. The journey begins in Italy with Robert figuring out the clues are tied to famous medieval poet Dante. He and doctor Sienna Brooks must find the virus first before others can get a hold of it and sell it for some big bucks.




Tom Hanks: "Follow me because I'm Tom Hanks."

Me: "That trustworthy Tom. I'll definitely follow you."



     Wow. Tom, what happened? I'm wanted to find some reasons to say that "Inferno" isn't that bad. That it's kind of fun. The idea is fun and Tom Hanks has worked well with Ron Howard in the past...Nope. "Inferno" is such a letdown. Holy crap, I don't even know where to start, but there's got to be a beginning. I'll start with how this adventure is told: confusing! Ironically, me saying I don't know where to start is what the screenwriters most likely said while writing this script. Robert Langdon is a character known for his wit and ability to solve difficult puzzles. The story is told by taking away Langdon's one quirk that makes him unique and awesome. He wakes up in a hospital with amnesia, which is a familiar tune that many movies use anyways, and not until act three is when he regains most of his memory. It's tragic that "Inferno" caused one of the only reasons to watch the movie to dissipate. While I can say Tom Hanks did try and make me care somewhat for the character, the entirety of the movie was carried, for me, by the influence of the puzzles: Dante's Inferno. This idea is shown through Langdon's memories as he tries to take them back. Even that was too much. The scenes were choppily edited to the point where I thought, "wait a second. This looks like a "Jason Bourne" film! What's going on?". I couldn't handle some of the editing at times, which I usually am fine with in movies like the "Bourne" films and "Mad Max: Fury Road". However, "Inferno" takes it to another level with the addition of how the film relies on the memory aspect of Langdon too much.




I think Tom just realized what movie he's in.



     "Inferno" for sure isn't the worst thriller you can get your hands on, but it doesn't offer much to get you to care about a situation that could potentially kill billions of people. Sad, isn't it? There are three saving graces: Tom Hanks, Irrfan Khan, and the incorporation of Dante's Inferno. I haven't really talked about Irrfan Khan, who I like in almost every role he's in. His character kicks ass sometimes and that's really it. I don't even know what his background is in him being able to be an assassin or whatever he tries to be in this movie. Besides that, I can't see anything else that I wouldn't enjoy at a better quality in other thriller's like "Se7en" or even "National Treasure" as cheesy as film is. Some books just don't translate well to movies, especially the dialogue. I couldn't help but feel bad for Tom Hanks when he was forced to describe a cup of coffee because his character forgot what the word was (due to his amnesia). What I don't understand is how the hell could he remember weird obscure facts about Sandro Botticelli's illustration of Dante's Inferno and his password to his Gmail account. What the f**k?




Oh. Now I get why Langdon remembered his password. Yeah, clear those emails and your history first, then get back to work.



     Maybe I'm being too harsh on a movie that is based off the book that I haven't read, but like any movie that's based off a novel, it's still a f***ing movie! I feel like I would like the book a lot more than the movie, as I can clearly see "Inferno" was clearly a book while watching it.  Ron Howard's direction of his vision for "Inferno" went up in flames, no pun intended. I don't know what his intent is on making these movies, but he should probably stop considering that all three of these movies have had terrible reviews. I understand that he's at least making his money back so I guess that's what makes him tick. I just know that Howard and Hanks can do far better than "Inferno".  Hopefully Howard does his skills justice in the upcoming biopic "Zelda" and Hanks once again dazzels me in "Toy Story 4". For the love of Illuminati, just leave "The Symbol", Dan Brown's other Langdon book, on the shelf. Keep it there and leave that mystery/thriller as a book.



2.0/5



PRO
  • Tom Hanks and Irrfan Khan at least tried
  • The use of Dante's Inferno is pretty cool, I guess

CON
  • Storytelling with overused memory lost plot
  • Editing is all over the place
  • Script doesn't translate well to screen
  • Unfortunately, Ron Howard's directing



"Inferno" is rated PG-13 for sequences of action and violence, disturbing images, some language, thematic elements and brief sensuality

Click here to watch the trailer

"Inferno" is in theaters everywhere now



     Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen "Inferno", comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment