Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Doctor Strange Review

Doctor Strange


The Ancient One: "You think you know how the world works. You think this material universe is all there is. What if I told you the reality you know is one of many?"



     "Doctor Strange" is directed by Scott Derrickson ("Sinister", "The Exorcism of Emily Rose", "The Day the Earth Stood Still") and stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Stephen Strange, Tilda Swinton as The Ancient One, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Mordo, Mads Mikkelsen as Kaecilius, Rachel McAdams as Christine Palmer, Benedict Wong as Wong, Michael Stuhlbarg as Dr. Nicodemus West, and Benjamin Bratt as Jonathan Pangborn.




Benedict Cumberbatch didn't even need to change out of his pajamas to get into costume. He just rolls out of bed with a cape, boots, and jewelry.



     Neurosurgeon Dr. Stephen Strange is on top of the world of neuroscience as he arrogantly pushes everyone he knows around. An unfortunate car accident causes Strange to lose much mobility of his hands, thus leaving him useless in the only world he knows about. Through word of mouth, he finds a place in Kathmandu, Nepal called Kamar-Taj where he can heal his hands to go back to work. After a long trek there, he is shown much more than just a hand heal: he learns of and sees multiple universes. Crazy, right? Master of astral projection and her mind, The Ancient One takes Strange under her wing so he can learn the mystic arts of bending reality. The masters at Kamar-Taj see Strange's potential that he can be the one to save the world from an ex-student of The Ancient One named Kaecilius. Kaecilius is trying to destroy all of the fortresses that hold down the Earth from being reached by a powerful entity known as Dormammu. He would bring our world into the Dark Dimension, where time doesn't exist and all can live forever. Against breaking the rules of nature, Strange, The Ancient One, Mordo, and Wong are placed in a situation to save the Earth or have it be immersed in a dimension far more dangerous than our own.




Dormammu and the Dark Dimension is just a codename for the 1978 TV movie "Dr. Strange". Doctor Strange, protect us from Dr. Strange!



        Marvel is going far beyond what they have ever done on screen, with "Doctor Strange". It is visually captivating. F**k, it's trippy as hell. I felt like I was hallucinating at some points of the film because of how the movement through different dimensions was portrayed. The CGI is complex, yet it's beautiful in what they showed. I can't explain to you in words how amazing the physical journey with Stephen Strange felt when small details started to shift to make an environment unrealistic in the most realistic way possible. Does that make any sense? Yeah, believe me, I think it's just a movie that's definitely worth a watch. Surprisingly enough, "Doctor Strange" doesn't even feel like a traditional Marvel movie with cameos from other superheroes or only a blatant set up for the next Marvel movie. Granted, "Doctor Strange" is a set up to "Infinity War" just like all the other Marvel films, but it's subtle in how it does that. It's a film that takes it time to set up a character that will have a great impact in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), making it a great movie by itself. We get to watch Stephen Strange grow from a narcissistic ass to one of the most powerful heroes in Marvel lore. It's the same formula that we see in Marvel movies, but with the added benefit of magic and Benedict Cumberbatch in the forefront.




Here's only a couple of the mind-boggling images that "Doctor Strange" poses is out there. Amazing stuff.



     Even though, "Doctor Strange" has its magical and mystical uniqueness, it still does follow that MCU format: the cocky or uninformed person we're supposed to care about has something tragic happen to them, they're forced to go through a change that can better themselves and other, finally giving us our superhero. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy this formula, but there has to be some sort of expansion on the type of storytelling Marvel Studios is going for or else it'll get old. Some people probably have had it by now to the point that they can already guess the entire plot. I also have to clarify on more thought that has kept bothering me since I left the theater: "Doctor Strange" is way too similar to the 2008 "Iron Man" film. I do understand that this is another introduction to the MCU and certain steps have to be taken from getting to point A to point B, but scenes like Tony Stark's love interest, Pepper Pot, bafflingly perform surgery on Tony Stark is beat for beat like Stephen Strange's love interest, Christine Palmer, bafflingly perform surgery on Stephen Strange. It's uncanny, when you think about it (or see it). Still, this doesn't take away from the fact that "Doctor Strange" nailed that formula on the head. I'm astonished at how different this movie is as compared to director Scott Derrickson's other films. The only other movie that he's directed that is fresh on Rotten Tomatoes is "Sinister", which I enjoyed, but I feel that other horror movies in recent years can easily top that. This is just completely out of the ordinary on his filmography and I commend him for doing a fantastic job. His direction for complex material involving Strange's powers is marvelous, pun intended.




A little too much of the same...



     If anything, watch "Doctor Strange" for how mesmerizing of an experience it is. I still am having trouble containing all of the cool visuals that exist when Strange jumps from place to place, universe to universe. The idea of time is toyed with in this film as well. We all know how difficult it is to incorporate that into any story, let alone a superhero story with someone who can control time (Strange's Eye of Agamotto). It was handled in a smart way with loops galore. On top of that, this could be one of the funniest Marvel movie to date (my top pick is still "Guardians of the Galaxy"). One could complain all they want about Marvel's familiar storyline in "Doctor Strange", but there isn't any denying that it accomplishes it with style and vigor. I truly feel that "Doctor Strange" can top my top five in my favorite Marvel movies (from all studios) of all time. Go and get strange!



4.6/5


PRO
  • Amazing and complex visuals
  • Otherworldy mystic powers is unique to MCU
  • Scott Derrickson's directing and Benedict Cumberbatch's portrayal of the titular hero

CON
  • Uses same formula that Marvel is used to


"Doctor Strange" is rated PG-13 for sci-fi violence and action throughout, and an intense crash sequence

Click here to watch the trailer

"Doctor Strange" is in theaters everywhere now



     Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen "Doctor Strange", comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT! I am an old Marvel Comics reader, and remember when Dr. Strange first came out! Benedict Cumberbatch is one of my favorites, and he did a wonderful job in this movie.

    Culver City Storage

    ReplyDelete