Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Friday, November 11, 2016

Check This One Out! - The Spectacular Now

Check This One Out! - The Spectacular Now


Sutter: "The best thing about now, is that there's another one tomorrow."



     "The Spectacular Now" is directed  by James Ponsoldt ("The End of the Tour", "Smashed") and stars Miles Teller as Sutter, Shailene Woodley as Aimee, Brie Larson as Cassidy, Jennifer Jason Leigh as Sara, Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Holly, Nicci Faires as Tara, Masam Holden as Ricky, Dayo Okeniyi as Marcus, Kyle Chandler as Tommy, and Bob Odenkirk as Dan.




For all your high school needs, just call Saul-- er, I mean, Dan at the local tailor shop!



     Senior year in high school has hit our protagonist Sutter in the face with a big bang after a party after his alcoholic binge: waking up on shy Aimee's front lawn. As the charming and laid back senior, he develops a friendship with her that blossoms into a romance. Indirectly peer pressuring Aimee into drinking and following "winging it" lifestyle, slowly but surely Sutter's shallowness for not caring about anybody but himself shows and he sees it. One event that he's been looking forward to for a long time changes him. The only problem is if he will take these problems in his life, be that depression or alcoholism, and turn them around to pursue a healthy and happy future.



Ah, s**t. This reunion isn't going to go well. Hang in there, Sutter!



     It's movies like "The Spectacular Now" that make me hopeful that things will get better with all the s**t that happens in my life. I'm not going to compare my issues to other peoples' issues because it's not fair. Our problems are just different. In "The Spectacular Now", Sutter has the issue of realizing that he really does have psychological extremities. What I absolutely loved about this film is that, for the whole movie, it's a slow realistic pace to that revelation. We see him and Aimee grow together through ups and downs, all in the span of one year. When I cry, I cry because a main character is relatable and I can see myself in that situation; the everyday Joe. Everybody, not only Sutter, is the opposite of what a 'movie' character is: honest and real. This inclusion into the story is why I recommend "The Spectacular Now" to everyone. It's a find-yourself type of movie that, with great performances and a great adapted screenplay, truly engages someone to reflect on their own life. Miles Teller usually does his consistent douchebag character, "The Spectacular Now" is no exception. However, he gets the added benefit of a turn-around that us, as an audience, are expecting, but not to hit as hard as it did. Even though he acted and portrayed that popular dumb jock in high school that everyone was either charmed by or hated, you still follow his journey into wanting to change. That's where the screenplay comes into effect. The dialogue is genuine and doesn't hold bars into high school drama. For the people who have been through or are in high school, some similar events that are shown have or will happen. I admire the honesty that is shown through Shailene Woodley's Aimee, Brie Larson's Cassidy, Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Holly, Jennifer Jason Leigh's Sara, and Kyle Chandler's Tommy. All of these characters surrounding Sutter make "The Spectacular Now" so immersive to the point where you'll feel enough to be openly emotional. Yeah, go ahead and cry! It's all good by me!




Young romance. It'll either be good or bad. Hopefully yours will be/was awesome!



     "The Spectacular Now" is an authentic view into the lives of hurt people. It doesn't matter that their teenagers in high school. These people could be toddlers or elderly, for crying out loud! It still doesn't take away from the script being, well, spectacular. You get to see into the soul of a person's surfaced personality. I'll make the analogy of a doctor performing surgery: a doctor (director) cuts into the skin of a person (Sutter) who needs help and you can see, with every move the doctor makes, the person being revealed a bit more. When the surgery is done, the doctor patches up all the wounds, cleans the person up, and they eventually feel better. In "The Spectacular Now", this is too true. It's a tender film that takes it time to reveal all the reasons a person is hurt to have them realize that they are hurt. Anyone who has been in some sort of emotional pain, and have been stuck in denial, should watch this (I'm assuming almost everyone has).




Don't be afraid to be young, though. Think of your future and your present. Be happy!



"The Spectacular Now" is rated R for alcohol use, language and some sexuality -- all involving teens

Click here to watch the trailer

"The Spectacular Now" is now available on DVD, Blu-ray, and digital download



     Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen "The Spectacular Now", comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment