Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Arrival Review

Arrival


 Louise Banks: "We need to make sure that they understand the difference between a weapon and a tool. Language is messy and sometimes one can be both."



     "Arrival" is directed by Denis Villeneuve ("Sicario", "Prisoners", "Enemy") and stars Amy Adams as Louise Banks, Jeremy Renner as Ian Donnelly, Forest Whitaker as Colonel Weber, Michael Stuhlbarg as Agent Halpern, Mark O'Brien as Captain Marks, and Tzi Ma as General Shang.




She's contemplating whether to call Superman or not.



     Mysterious alien ships of unknown origin arrive at 12 different locations throughout the entire planet. Two days into figuring out the purpose for their arrival, the United States military calls upon acclaimed linguistics professor Louise Banks to help decode and understand the language/method of communication the aliens are using. All the nations are working together to figure the aliens' purpose, but when misconstruing information is taken by some nations, the world finds itself on the brink of a global warfare. Thinking it may help end the intensity of countries ready to fight, Louise takes a huge risk that may or may not pay off for her and for humanity.




Oh, c'mon! Really? That, of course, says "Warning for America: a pumpkin being your leader will divide you all." Pssh! That's elementary stuff, right there.



     It's difficult to remember a film that has made me feel something extraordinary and think so much about life in recent years. "Arrival" is a film that does this and more. It's crazy to think that a movie about an alien invasion does this, but it surprisingly does. To be fair, "Arrival" isn't a movie specifically about aliens and how humans deal with them. It's a movie about the core of humanity and characterization. In the forefront of the movie is Amy Adams' Louise Banks, who, throughout the entire film, we learn more about her past, present, and future. We follow her struggle with family and her struggle with the burden of saving the human race. Two completely opposite issues, yet the film mixes them incredibly well. My jaw dropped when credits started rolling. Oh my goodness, I just couldn't contain my happiness for how cinema isn't throwing out the same bulls**t every week. When we get movies like "Arrival", we get to see the growing nature of screenwriting, directing, and acting. I can, without a doubt, see Amy Adams being nominated for best actress at the Academy Awards. Not only was it her that did a fantastic job in her portrayal, but the whole cast did a spot-on job with what they were given. No flaws in the acting.




She can already taste the glory!



     I'm one of those film lovers that holds the script above all other components of a film. To many, that may or may not be their way of thinking, but I feel that way. "Arrival" is complex , yet beautiful in the way it expresses its themes and dialogue. It's a film that, for sure, is meant to be seen more than once. I can't wait to grab a notebook and take many notes on what the details are in the characters' conversations. One of the biggest topics that "Arrival" tries to get through to the audience is that of language and communication barriers. Jeremy Renner's Ian Donnelly put it perfectly when he said that Louise "approaches language like math". I'd have to be a smart motherf***er to understand and speak the amount of languages that Louise does, but I'm sure that there are plenty of people that can. That's why the actions of a team, led by Louise, trying to comprehend the aliens' "written"  and verbal way of communication is so interesting. We, as humans and not as an audience, learn while the characters learn. Nobody knows the answer. It's a language barrier that can lead to mistakes and disaster, but the way screenwriter Eric Heisserer adapted Ted Chiang's story into a remarkable film is beyond words. It's beyond creativity. It's beautiful.




Math joke: What do you call a number that can't keep still? A roamin' numeral! Thank you, I'm here all week!



     While all of these elements of "Arrival" were a highlight of my enjoyment, I cannot overlook the fact that this is a film directed by favorite up-and-coming director: Denis Villeneuve. This guy has been on my radar since "Prisoners". Even though "Enemy" had come out earlier, I hadn't heard of him since "Prisoners". I saw "Enemy" after seeing that one. Nevertheless, I'm ecstatic that he's come out with a movie that has exceeded my expectations. I heard, from what critics and viewers have said at film festivals, that this movie was supposed to be good. I never thought I could be surprised even more from a movie that has gotten praise like this. Congrats, Denis. Your work has made me hopeful for other filmmakers who want to explore regions of genres while still maintaining their signature mark. I mean, if you look at the surface picture of "Prisoners" and "Arrival", they're two very different movies in the world their held in; one has a mysterious kidnapper and murderer and the other has aliens arriving at Earth with unknown intentions. Still, they contain their dark undertones of the uncharted territory. Nobody knows what's going to happen in the next scene. His vision for what how the film looks even compliments his tendency for the unexplored. Props to the cinematographer too. Damn, is this film gorgeous to look at. I'm so excited for Denis' project: to direct the sequel to "Blade Runner"! I feel like the studios have picked a perfect fit for a film that uses Noir and Science-Fiction to present a dark and fascinating future. Here's to the future of film talent!




Ah, s**t! I think he heard me! Do your thing. I don't want to bother you.



     It's difficult to explain what more I like in "Arrival" without giving away spoilers, but take my word for it: it's a great movie. It's not very often that a film makes me wonder about humanity and its struggles. When it does that, it's more than a film. It's art. "Arrival" is a work of art that's entertaining, using slow burn methods for telling a captivating story, and thought-provoking. Help this film garner more attention than it has. I don't know what the outcome of a film like this will do in the box office, but whatever it is, it won't be good enough. I can already tell you that "Arrival" is catching the eye of the film academy and already is going to be on my top ten of the year.



5/5


PRO
  • Thought-provoking themes
  • Engaging character study alongside Amy Adams
  • Script handled with complexity and beauty
  • Cinematography is gorgeous
  • Denis Villeneuve directs another film for the ages

CON
  • None



"Arrival" is rated PG-13 for brief strong language

Click here to watch the trailer

"Arrival" is in theaters now



     Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen "Arrival", comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment