Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

How To Train Your Dragon 2 Review





How To Train Your Dragon 2
 
  I believe that some of the happiest moments in life can come tumbling down in a sudden landslide. But once that landslide is over, you have to rebuild and fix the patches that were damaged. It will not be easy, but it's the only way to see those happy moments in life again.
  How To Train Your Dragon 2 (directed by Dean DeBlois) translates this philosophy to the silver screen and achieves it (and its a kid's film!).
  This film follows the continuing adventures of Hiccup (voiced by Jay Baruchel) and Toothless, the rare Night Fury dragon, five years after the original film. This time the humans of the Isle of Berk made peace with dragons and have lived with dragons ever since the first How To Train Your Dragon. However, there is a war waged by the vicious Drago Bludvist (voiced by Djimon Hounsou) who wants to capture all dragons and "train" (really brainwash) them into doing his bidding and taking over the world. Drago wants to do this because he wants to instil the fear of dragons in humans by destroying all dragons with his dragons. Now Hiccup known as the best dragon trainer in Berk (his hometown) has to convince Drago that dragons are humane creatures. On his way to talk to Drago, Hiccup and Toothless end up in an ice cave home to a bunch of dragons and the mysterious Dragon Rider. With the help of the Dragon Rider and his/her dragons, Hiccup, Toothless, and Hiccup's human companions take down Drago, but not before catastrophic events change Hiccup's life forever.
  

  The inseparable Hiccup and Toothless create a stronger bond that I thought could not be accomplished after the first How To Train Your Dragon. Toothless' lovable and loyal personality combined with Hiccup's love and leadership make the whole movie by the end. The award for best factor in How To Train Your Dragon 2 is definitely the Hiccup and Toothless' devotion to one another.

  Subplots. Subplots are an issue. Not ones that lose you out of the moment, but unnecessary ones.
SPOILER ALERT!
 Hiccup's mother, Valka (voiced by Cate Blanchett), being finally introduced to the audience, did not further the story. Without her, the film still could have moved on and it probably would have ended the same. I am saying that her character specifically, the idea of Hiccup's mother being in the movie, did not need to be in the film. Her character could have been played by any other new identity. The fact that it was Hiccup's mother was not related to anything. It was just in for a cool factor because without the character, there would not have been some pretty cool fight scenes (which were engaging as hell).

  
  Eret (voiced by Kit Harrington) was an unnecessary character dragged along into the story for no reason. His only purpose was to free Hiccup's human companions and their dragons from the clutches of Drago, which happened around the middle of the movie. The rest is him helping the companions. The rest is kind of just for laughs.
 
  Let me just say that these unnecessary subplots did not hurt the movie. I enjoyed this movie from beginning to end. There was not one moment when I checked my phone for the time.

  How To Train Your Dragon 2 is the event of the landslide. Before, during, and after. The price of rebuilding and fixing the patches after the landslide happens is massive. If you want to repair the bad things in life, there has to be a certain change. With support from friends, family, and even strangers, there will be satisfaction with one's self. It will not be easy, but you will eventually get there and feel happy once again.

Pro
  • Hiccup and Toothless
  • Action scenes
  • New and really cool dragons
  • Ups and Downs in life (valuable lesson)
Con
  • Unnecessary subplots/characters
4.5/5

Watch the trailer here

How To Train Your Dragon 2 is on Blu-ray, DVD, and Netflix now 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment