Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Thursday, July 16, 2015

50/50 Review

50/50

 50/50, directed by Jonathan Levine, is a dramedy (drama and comedy) starring Joeseph Gordon-Levitt (Adam) and Seth Rogen (Kyle) who play best friends. The basic storyline is that Adam gets the news very early into the movie that he has a rare form of spinal cancer. Then it just goes downhill from there. The movie is how he deals with life now that he has cancer, how he deals with chemotherapy, and how he deals with relationships.
 It is very rare that a movie makes me feel both happy AND sad at the same time, but this movie accomplishes that feeling with flying colors. The best part about this movie was almost all of the emotions the actors showed were realistic. Now, I'm not saying all of the situations in this film would be played out the same in real life but hey, this is a movie.
 The best part of the movie was definitely the chemistry between Adam, introverted and shy, and Kyle, extroverted and outspoken. These best friends have known each other since high school and even work at the same radio station as researchers. When Adam tells Kyle that he has cancer, Kyle only tries to help him live life to the greatest, that being smoking weed and hooking up with women. Although Adam doesn't really like the idea of him using his newly found cancer as a way to hook up with women at bars, Kyle urges him to try it. This is an example of Kyle trying to make Adam's life a little better, even though he is doing something that Adam disapproves of that, Kyle is doing it with the best intentions. He is your jerk friend who tries to help.
Image result for 50/50
 Another relationship I enjoyed play out was Adam and Katherine's (Anna Kendrick). Once Adam is diagnosed with cancer, his doctor suggest he goes see a therapist. Enter Katherine, a young psychology student aiming for her doctorate, also a love interest for Adam. Since she is a student and young, she does not have much experience with dealing with such crises. How she deals with Adam exactly what therapy is like: people who try to look for a scientific reason to why you are upset. It honestly took me back to my therapy appointments.
https://myreelpov.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/50-50-pic-2.jpg
 The whole supporting cast was excellent. From Anjelica Huston playing Diane, the needy and overly protective mother of Adam, to Philip Baker Hall playing Alan, the elderly friend of Adam who also undergoes chemotherapy with him. The acting was phenomenal from everyone.

 I personally didn't have any gripes with this movie. However, I can see how people would not understand some of relationships in this film such as Adam and Katherine's relationship as therapist and patient. In general people might not understand what it's like to actually have cancer. Maybe they know somebody with cancer, but they don't have it, therefore not understanding some of Adam's decisions. I personally do not get what it is like to live with cancer, but I do know what it's like to live with an illness and I can see myself in some of these situations.

 All of Adam's relationships take a downturn and at some points it literally seems like there is no hope. However, since this is also a comedy, the film has to look at some sort of bright side. 50/50 is ultimately a film about dealing with the darkness of cancer with an upside and a smile on your face. I cried. I laughed. I hoped. 50/50 made me feel hopeful for everyone who do not only have cancer but also organ failures, depression, Tourette Syndrome, and all other kinds of complications with the body and mind. If you want to see a real life critical situation that is taken in a happy and hopeful light, see this movie.
Pro 
  • Acting (from literally the whole cast)
  • Adam's relationships
  • The thought of cancer in a lighter view
  • Real life situations
Con
  • None really (maybe not personally understanding what it's like living with cancer)
5/5
Watch the trailer here
50/50 is on DVD and Blu-Ray now 

No comments:

Post a Comment