Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Review

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story


Chirrut Îmwe: "I'm one with the Force, and the Force is with me."



     "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" is directed by Gareth Edwards ("Godzilla" (2014), "Monsters") and stars Felicity Jones as Jyn Erso, Diego Luna as Cassian Andor, Ben Mendelsohn as Orson Krennic, Mads Mikkelson as Galen Erso, Alan Tudyk as K-2SO, Donnie Yen as Chirrut Îmwe, Wen Jiang as Baze Malbus, Riz Ahmed as Bodhi Rook, and Forest Whitaker as Saw Gerrera.




And guess who else is back???



     Taking place just before "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope", the Rebellion has received information about the Empire building a planet destroying weapon called the Death Star. Criminal Jyn Erso is asked by the Rebellion to lead them to her father, Galen Erso, who holds the plans to the Death Star. On the way, she and her fellow soldiers encounter difficulties in obtaining the plans including warfare and a Sith lord.




It's always a beam in the sky, isn't it?



     The fact that "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" is the second "Star Wars" film in a line of 6 "Star Wars" film until 2020, perhaps, and that it's also the first stand alone film set in the "Star Wars" universe has me squealing like a little kid. From the looks of the trailer, I was hopeful and cocky that "Rogue One" would be fantastic. My hopes were definitely met. I enjoyed "Rogue One" from start to finish. Sure I might be a little more partial to the saga, but I think that's because there is so much more material on the main plot than in this film. The biggest reason that makes "Rogue One" so great, though, is how the Rebellion obtains the Death Star plans: the big war scene in the third act. This is the war you want to watch in a "Star Wars" movie. The feeling of people fighting and killing for a good cause, but still being incredibly human at the same time is something yet to be witnessed in a "Star Wars" film. The Rebels say it themselves; they've done bad things for the Rebellion, but stuff their horrific acts in the back in their minds thinking that they're fighting for good. "Rogue One" is a more down-to-Earth film in a universe filled with extraordinary events.




It's all out war with the Rebellion facing off against the Empire.



     "Rogue One" is not a perfect movie, by any means. In fact, I would say that "The Force Awakens" is just a bit better, in my humble opinion. Some of the main characters in "Rogue One" weren't as fleshed out as I wanted them to be, especially since the ones that aren't have big parts in the film. Don't get me wrong, I f***ing loved all the characters' personalities. They're all quite compelling for what they do and how they're portrayed. The always beautiful and talented Felicity Jones carries the film well as Jyn Erso, Diego Luna sides with Felicity Jones as the steadfast Rebel Cassian Andor, and Alan Tudyk lends his voice as the standout character (for me, that is) K-2SO. Jyn, being the protagonist that we care for and follow, is the character with the most back story; however, with the other characters, there isn't too much information about their history to get on a certain level of empathy that I wanted to feel for a movie that surrounds itself with a tight knit group. All in all, I enjoyed the characters and how they were portrayed, but the writing could have been revised a little bit more to bring out a personal connection with them.




K-2SO is a beautiful and soulfully mortal machine.



     You'll all have a good time with "Rogue One", even if you aren't a "Star Wars" geek. I know I sure as hell don't know as much about the universe as someone who reads the books and plays the video games to get more into the lore of the stories. I still had fun. Though, it would be to your advantage to be a "Star Wars" fan to get all the little Easter eggs and hidden messages that are throw backs to "A New Hope". Who am I kidding though? It's a "Star Wars" movie. Almost everyone is going to see it whether I say to or not to. The signiture John Williams score, beautiful CGI, and fascinating animatronics are all found in bulk in "Rogue One". These elements plus the characters are what make "Star Wars" "Star Wars" so you won't be disappointed.



4.5/5



PRO
  • In-depth and unseen look at Rebellion
  • "Star Wars"-isms are abundant
  • Cool characters played phenomenally by top tier actors/actresses...

CON
  • ...But the characters weren't as fleshed out as previous "Star Wars" movie characters


"Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" is rated PG-13 for extended sequences of sci-fi violence and action

Click here to watch the trailer

"Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" is in theaters everywhere now



     Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story", comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment