Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Office Christmas Party Review

Office Christmas Party


Mary: "Tonight the decision you make will have consequences that will haunt you for the rest of your professional lives."



     "Office Christmas Party" is directed by Josh Grodon ("Blades of Glory", "The Switch") and Will Speck ("Blades of Glory", "The Switch") and stars Jason Bateman as Josh Parker, T.J. Miller as Clay Vanstone, Olivia Munn as Tracey Hughes, Jennifer Aniston as Carol Vanstone, Kate McKinnon as Mary, Courtney B. Vance as Walter Davis, Rob Corddry as Jeremy, Vanessa Bayer as Allison, Jillian Bell as Trina, Randall Park as Fred, Sam Richardson as Joel, Karan Soni as Nate, Jamie Chung as Meghan, Da'Vine Joy Randolph as Carla, and Abbey Lee as Savannah.




Holy shit! Is that Zack Galifianakis from "The Hangover"? Crossover!



     Clay Vanstone heads the Chicago branch of a tech company called Zenotek. His sister and CEO of Zenotek, Carol Vanstone, promises to shut down Clay's branch because they're not making the profits she's expecting and she doesn't like Clay for shit. Unless Clay and his two other friends/employees, Josh and Olivia, can land a deal with Walter Davis and his company to gain profit, all of Chicago's Zenotek's employees will be fired just in time for Christmas. The only, and super logical, way to land the deal is with a huge-ass fucking party for the ages. Anything and everything can happen on party night.




Literally anything...so have fun!



     We've hit that time of the year when we expect a whole bunch of holiday themed films to give off that seasoned feeling. "Office Christmas Party" tries to be warmhearted, but it only succeeds in parts. The biggest gripe I have with this movie is that when I walked out of the theater I felt like I've seen the film before. I could predict almost everything that was going to happen. "Office Christmas Party" is a paint-by-numbers film that is as conventional as a fucking monkey is to trees. If you don't like that analogy, you can fuck off. I don't mean that in a rude way though. Anyway, "Office Christmas Party" doesn't do anything new; however, that isn't the worst thing you can do with a movie that builds up to a free-for-all party extravaganza. I quite enjoyed the film for the most part. It was entertaining, which is all I asked for from this movie. I wanted to laugh and I laughed. Sometimes the script got too carried away in surface level character development when it either could have used much more or much less. Nevertheless, the charm of the characters got to me and that's one of the major reasons why "Office Christmas Party" was entertaining.




I've got to admit, the costume probably made T.J. more likable.



     When the characters are the best part of a movie, you know it can't be that bad...well, I think my review of "Suicide Squad" may beg to differ. Still, I assumed that most, if not all, of the characters in "Office Christmas Party" would fucking blow. They didn't! In fact, the majority were damn funny and/or tolerable. Jason Bateman does his normal Jason Bateman shit ("been there, done that" kind of performance) and I didn't really care for the people involved with the prostitution ring like Jillian Bell's Trina and Abbey Lee's Savannah. I just didn't find those characters as delightful as T.J. Miller's Clay Vanstone, Jennifer Aniston's Carol Vanstone, and Kate McKinnon's Mary. Yeah, Kate McKinnon surprised the hell out of me here. She, like her true persona and not those portrayed on screen, is hilarious in "Office Christmas Party". T.J. is just a likable douchebag to me. I think it's because I'm a likable-ish douchebag too...I have to rethink my life now. *Life thought over*. Unfortunately, I had expectations that I was going to laugh more often than what I actually got. What I thought would suck was the story, which is partly true considering the end started to drive towards a fantastical element. consequences happen incredibly coincidentally. Some of the events that occurred, I just don't buy for one second. I could believe the raging party up to a point, but what the fuck? How can you get away with shit like a car crash into a power grid? Also, there's a point when an invention of Olivia Munn's Tracey Hughes connects people to the internet via light bulbs and it saves the day...What? I'm not believing that shit for a fucking second.




The biggest mystery of all was how nobody succumbed to fucking alcohol poisoning. It blows my mind.



     Even after the unbelievable scenarios that happened in the third act and the poor story that I wasn't too involved or excited for, I still enjoyed "Office Christmas Party" for pure entertainment. I think it's a movie that you can get drunk with your friends and watch. I wouldn't make watching this film a holiday tradition because there are plenty of other better films to watch as tradition. "Office Christmas Party" makes me laugh at times and it keeps me connected with the characters. It's a film that gives and keeps on not giving. Give yourself a couple of weeks and you'll forget this movie existed.



2.9/5



PRO
  • Entertaining enough
  • Characters keep the film going

CON
  • Nothing new with story; standard
  • Face-palm worthy scenarios in third act



"Office Christmas Party" is rated R for crude sexual content and language throughout, drug use and graphic nudity

Click here to watch the trailer

"Office Christmas Party" is in theaters everywhere now



     Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen "Office Christmas Party", comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for sharing the Office Christmas Party Review here. It was way too enjoyable for me to read through this. Anyways, I also would like to host a post-Christmas party at a local corporate events NYC venue. Our employees enjoyed this event to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for.I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.Thanks rent party characters

    ReplyDelete