Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Friday, December 2, 2016

Paterson Review

Paterson


Japanese Poet: "A bus driver named Paterson...this is very poetic."



     "Paterson" is directed by Jim Jarmusch ("Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai", "Dead Man", "Broken Flowers") and stars Adam Driver as Paterson, Golshifteh Farahani as Laura, Barry Shabaka Henley as Doc, Chasten Harmon as Marie, and William Jackson Harper as Everett.




Oh, and it also stars a dog who isn't very fond of Paterson.



     In the small town of Paterson, a bus driver, also named Paterson, runs through his daily routine: Get up, go to work, walk the dog, go to a bar, go home and then go to sleep. Monday through Friday are shown; he does the same thing every day, as mundane as it is. However, he writes poetry every day, as well. He writes about what he sees. As boring as that sounds, this film shows that even the littlest things in life can be beautiful.




Even when being a bus driver dealing with annoying passengers, you can still find beauty. Hats off to all the bus drivers out there!



     I was fortunate enough to get to watch "Paterson" at the Mill Valley Film Festival in early October. I put off writing the review mainly so that people could get a chance to see it in the limited theaters it's in. I've wanted to write about it ever since. Now, I get to say that "Paterson" is unlike any movie I have seen in the past decade. There is no quarrel with a villain or an antagonist. There is no clear conflict that Paterson has to overcome. This movie tells the story of a week in a life of an ordinary man writing poetry about the things he sees. That may sound annoying to some, and I can't change that. This movie might not be for everyone. For the ones who are tired of a structured story that we've all seen a thousand times, this is the movie that'll take you out of that experience. It's an inspirational homage to what the average day is and it's beautiful. This is also the best I've seen Adam Driver. His performance is not going to be nominated for an Oscar (the Academy wouldn't go for this), but it's subtle and realistic enough to invite the audience into his head; to see and hear what he sees and hears. This is what allows his poetry to jump off the page and onto the screen.




A man sitting on a bench. Seems boring? Write about it. I guarantee what you write and describe will make your day just a little better.



     This brings me to the element that makes "Paterson" so great: the poetry. The poetry is sincere, but not over-the-top sappy. Paterson writes about his wife sometimes. Sometimes it's about his passengers on the bus or about an idea that's been stuck in his head. The marvelous technique used to express Paterson's poetry to us is Paterson talking in the third person. You can hear his poetic thoughts. The words pop on the screen with handwritten white font. Jim Jarmusch's choices to create a vivid telling of poetry in a day is a minor detail that makes all the difference. My only dispute with "Paterson" is that the replay value isn't too high for me. Hypothetically, if I were on my couch eager to watch a movie, "Paterson" wouldn't be high on my list. I mean, as good as it is, once you see it, you wouldn't really crave to see it again. I could say that about every movie, but this one I mean it especially. I think Jarmusch substituted story for replay. A good choice, but a little disappointed about that.




Adam Driver would be me watching "Paterson" again: enjoyable, for sure, but it's really a medicine for that same old s**t.



     If you get a chance to see "Paterson", go see it. It gives you a break from the beat-for-beat action and plots that are in every movie. I had a great time laughing and smile throughout the film. Although I wouldn't need to see it a second time, I'm elated that I've gotten to see a refreshing film that doesn't rely on anything but a week in the life of a bus driver. Sounds weird to say, right? Well, poetry, of any kind, and film mix together like paint and an empty canvas.



4.8/5



PRO
  • Poetry through boring days isn't as boring as you might think
  • Adam Driver's subtle and humble performance
  • Jim Jarmusch's directing choices with how to present the poetry

CON
  •  Not a very high replay value



"Paterson" is rated R for some language

Click here to watch the trailer

"Paterson" is in select theaters now



     Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've seen "Paterson", comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment