Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Moonlight Review

Moonlight


Juan: "At some point, you gotta decide for yourself who you're going to be. Can't let nobody make that decision for you."



     "Moonlight" is directed by Barry Jenkins ("Medicine for Melancholy") and stars Alex R. Hibbert as Little, Jaden Piner (9), Ashton Sanders as Chiron, Jharrel Jerome as Kevin (16), Trevante Rhodes as Black, André Holland as Kevin, Mahershala Ali as Juan, Janelle Monáe as Teresa, and Naomie Harris as Paula.




Twist: This film is set in an alternate Marvel Universe where Cottonmouth is actually a nice guy (a little "Luke Cage" joke there).



     The three stages of a boy named Chiron are shown throughout major points of his life where he discovers more about his sexuality and love. With no father figure, his drug-addicted mom yelling homosexual slurs to him, and him being bullied, Chiron has a tough time admitting his true feelings for his longtime friend. It's coming-out-of-the-closet story filled with love and heartbreak. You will feel the feels.




When I say all the feels, I mean ALL the feels.



     Wow! This fall has made up for the s**t pile of movies that we got over the summer. Many of them have been huge disappointments. "Moonlight" alone probably has made up for like half of the summer movie disasters. I've heard the buzz about this movie ever since it premiered at the various film festivals it was shown at. Undoubtedly, I was excited to see it. The finished product knocked my heart around a good amount of times and I now see why the buzz was so good. Let me tell you now that "Moonlight" is going to appear on my top 10 of the year list. What surprised me the most is how the storytelling worked to its advantage. This movie is told in three different parts showing Chiron's understanding of his homosexuality. It's a big risk for a film to use that technique of storytelling since there are gaps of time that could potentially contain something of importance. At times, we, as an audience, are just expected to know what happened during that time or the plot keeps moving forward with exposition scenes. This contains none of that. Chiron's experiences on screen are when he is a little kid, a teenager, and an adult. There are big time gaps and it still feels like the same Chiron as an adult is the same as him being a kid. The actors, by the way, are unbelievably talented. "Moonlight" is comprised of an all black and talented cast. It's a film that I didn't expect to have one race surrounding a boy that feels through his sexuality like this. The thing is, I saw this as a human film. People in urban neighborhoods discover themselves and no film has truly captured it as well as "Moonlight" has.




Great performance all around, but the three who play Chiron are the standouts.



     The music, the cinematography, the direction, and all the other technicalities that make a movie pop are all so perfect in "Moonlight". I can't think of one mistake that "Moonlight" makes. It's a beautiful film with beautiful performance and a beautiful screenplay. I can't say anything more than, "Go watch this movie." This is, without a doubt, going to garner an nomination for best picture. I have no gripes with this "Moonlight" so I'm going to end my review here because there isn't anything more I ought to talk about without spoiling or giving away an experience that deserves to be felt by everybody. "Moonlight" is a modern masterpiece.



5/5



PRO
  • Fluid movement of Chiron's experiences works perfectly
  • A beautiful and human love story; it isn't told enough in film
  • Performances
  • Effective use of music, directing, writing, and cinematography

CON
  • None



"Moonlight" is rated R for some sexuality, drug use, brief violence and language throughout

Click here to watch the trailer

"Moonlight" is in select theaters now



     Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've seen "Moonlight" already, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment