Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Conjuring 2 Review




The Conjuring 2


Janet Hodgson: "Why do they do that?"

Lorraine Warren: "Because they feed off of other people's pain."





      The Conjuring 2 is directed by James Wan (Insidious 1 & 2, Saw, Furious 7, The Conjuring) and stars Patrick Wilson as Ed Warren, Vera Farmiga as Lorraine Warren, Madison Wolfe as Janet Hodgson, Frances O'Connor as Peggy Hodgson, Benjamin Haigh as Billy Hodgson, Lauren Esposito as Margaret Hodgson, Patrick McAuley as Johnny Hodgson, Bob Adrain as Bill Wilkins, Maria Doyle Kennedy as Peggy Nottingham, Simon Delaney as Vic Nottingham, Franka Potente as Anita Gregory, and Simon McBurney as Maurice Grosse.




Shield your eyes, children!




      Ed and Lorraine Warren have just finished with their case involving the infamous Amityville house which causes Lorraine to stop taking anymore cases because of certain trauma there. Across the pond in Enfield, England, another house is being haunted and this time a little girl by the name of Janet Hodgson is the host of this spirit, Bill Wilkins. Above anything that the local police can do, the Catholic Church enlists the help of the American spirit hunting husband and wife duo. They travel to Enfield with hesitation from the two. However, they find that this spirit is not only causing problems within the household and the community, by means of media, but it's also causing paranoia with Lorraine. Her premonitions, that originally have helped the duo solve cases, is messing with her mind. She and Ed, being the faithful and good people they are, do their absolute best to help eleven year old Janet fight this demonic being, but are the problems revolving around the husband and wife team constraining their ability to do this?




Yup. I must've yelled "Mommy!" at least four times while watching this movie.



      Taking a look at the horror sequels in the past decade or so, I found that a lot of them were absolute trash. So when I heard that one of my favorite horror films was going to get a sequel, I immediately was turned off. I didn't want The Conjuring to be a franchise that would just make films for profit without any true substance. Luckily, James Wan returned as the director once again for The Conjuring 2. Oh my god, (no pun intended) this movie was fantastic! Scared is honestly an understatement for how I felt during the majority of the film. Not even just being scared, but I was also intrigued by the characters. I would definitely like to point out Madison Wolfe's performance as Janet Hodgson because this performance is one of the best performances I have seen from a kid actor (on par with Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense and Jacob Tremblay in Room). She's an American with an American accent, so knowing that gives me another respect for her since she portrays an English girl. Maybe it may seem a bit stupid of me to say that, but I can safely say that many adult actors can't even pull off an English accent as well as hers (let me know if you disagree or agree, England!). Props to James Wan for casting her as well. He usually casts good child actors for his movies that include them such as The Conjuring and Insidious. Not only was Madison's performance eye catching and impressive, but so were the whole cast's performances. Vera Farmiga's and Patrick Wilson's are other stand out performances that I'd like to highlight. Their chemistry is felt throughout. As a married couple, Ed and Lorraine Warren have been through a lot and The Conjuring 2 really shines on how much faith the two have in each other. It's kind of a continuation of a love story, if you think about it.




 Vera and Patrick looked pissed that Madison is upstaging them a bit.





      As with many ghost and demon movies, The Conjuring 2 follows the same footsteps with having religious themes in the forefront. This isn't a good or bad thing. I just think it's an important fact to state because if you're really opposed to religion, I feel like this movie would possibly press your buttons (or not. Who knows?). However, I think the main reason a person would be opposed to seeing this horror movie is if it's not actually scary; if cheap jump scares are abundant; if classic horror movie tropes push the movie forward. The answer is yes to all of these questions, but they are done so incredibly well. I tend to hate it when films do this: use cheap jump scares when the film, as a whole, isn't terrifying or when exposition scenes are shown with a guy hearing a noise and going down the hallway to "check it out". The Conjuring 2 doesn't abuse these moments, but rather use them to its advantage. James Wan is responsible for this in that he created an environment with characters that are developed incredibly well. It's a modern horror movie with a classic feel. Hell, the set was blessed by a priest on the first day of shooting! If that doesn't scream "Dear God...this is irony within irony", then nothing will. Off the top of my head, I can think of ten creepy scenes that caught my attention. Two specific scenes, though, are the horrifying nun coming out of a painting and the debut of the crooked man. The nun, you can see from briefly from the trailer. The crooked man, well, you'll just have to see The Conjuring 2 to find out what I'm talking about.




As I was making this collage, I just might've crapped my pants a little...*gulp*


      While The Conjuring 2 has a lot of things going for it, I can't help but feel a little tired after watching it. Main reason being that it's a lengthy movie at a whopping two hours and fourteen minutes. Yeah, it's not long for like a drama or thriller, but for a horror movie? It is pretty long. The Conjuring 2 is by no means an Ambiancé , an experimental film running about 30 days (look it up. It's really weird), but there are plenty of moments during the film where you can feel the length of the movie as if it had a physical effect on your mind. Most of the scenes where the length was felt were in the scenes when much of the dialogue was taking place. Don't get me wrong, the dialogue, for a horror movie, is fantastic and I could feel the fear and distraught in the characters, but it drags on for a hair too long. Honestly, I feel like The Conjuring is a great overall film while this one is a great horror film. The Conjuring 2 nailed more than it failed in the end though.




This particular scene, with only dialogue, actually is a bit more emotional than I expected. 


      The Conjuring 2 is, once again, another satisfying horror movie. James Wan, a very charismatic film director with his movies, brings his throwback ghost stories and gives them a little bit of an edge with today's filmmaking technology. Along with his careful, yet beautiful details in The Conjuring 2, the cast, lead by Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson, make their mark in the modern horror genre as an impactful couple that help the tortured from the claws of demonic possession. Shout out to Madison Wolfe too for her astonishing performance as a terrified eleven year old who, at some scenes, feels like she comes straight out of hell. Unfortunately, it isn't often that a good horror sequel comes out (the only ones I can really think about as I'm writing this are Evil Dead 2 and Scream 2), but hope is still alive that they're possible thanks to The Conjuring 2.




4.4/5



PRO
  • Unexpectedly great horror sequel
  • Creepy as all hell (alright, pun intended)
  • Performances from two leads and the main child actor

CON
  • Predictable due to well used, but still used cliches
  • A bit too lengthy of a horror film


The Conjuring 2 is rated R for terror and horror violence


Click here to watch the trailer


The Conjuring 2 is in theaters everywhere now


      Thanks for reading my review, everybody! I really appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to get updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen The Conjuring 2, comment and let me know what you think. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment