Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Check This One Out! - Short Term 12

      Hey everybody! I decided to publish a post every week highlighting a film that isn't in theaters anymore (meaning you can check it out on your own on a streaming site, Blu-Ray, or another means of watching the movie) and that I haven't done a full review for. They'll be called Check This One Out! with each one numbered. These won't be full reviews, but rather a recommendation to a movie I saw during the week. I'll probably post one per week on Wednesdays. I know, I know. It's Thursday. Well at least, it's Thursday on the US West Coast.

Short Term 12


Grace: "Why are you being so nice to me?"

Mason: "You being serious now? Well, it's easy. It's because you are the weirdest, most beautiful that I've ever met in my whole entire life."


      This week I'd like to highlight a movie called Short Term 12 directed by Destin Daniel Cretton (I Am A Hipster) and stars Brie Larson as Grace, John Gallagher Jr. as Mason, Rami Malek as Nate, Stephanie Beatriz as Jessica, Keith Stanfield as Marcus, and Kaitlyn Dever as Jayden.



This movie made me cry and laugh so many times. A very true reality of what is seen in these types of environments.     


      Grace is a counselor at group home for at-risk teenagers called Short Term 12. From the start, you see that Grace has internal problems of her own that pushes the people that she loves away. On top of that, a girl who has just been admitted into the program causes a bit of confusion and problems for Grace. A boy who is about to leave the program is causing problems too because he doesn't know what to do since he is about to turn 18. Struggles go on throughout all the characters in the film and Grace is at the center of it all. She needs to find her sanity; her place; her openness to talk to people so that everyone, including her, can lead happier and honest lives.



Brie Larson pre Oscar victory portrays the damaged Grace and she is just incredible, as she always is.


      Short Term 12 has quickly found its way to be one of my favorite movies mainly because of the personal significance it has in my life. The experiences I have been through are similarly shown in this film and it's sometimes hard to watch. However, I am so happy the director chose to go with this Indie dramedy tone. I don't think it could have worked in any other way. All the performances, especially Brie Larson as Grace and Keith Stanfield as Marcus, are fantastic. I could go on and on about how Brie Larson is one of the best actresses in the business today, but the Oscar win for Room pretty much speaks for itself. Keith Stanfield plays angered Marcus who's about to leave the program because he is about to be of age and cannot stay there. He has to be let go into the real world. I think I felt his pain the most out of anyone in this movie. Even though he shut down the world around him, he still showed enough emotion to let the audience realize that he's definitely hurt and he needs attention. The rap that he made helped take a look into his mind. It was emotional as all hell.



Brie Larson on the left and Keith Stanfield on the right...in case it wasn't clear from the only two characters in the picture.


       Please do yourself a favor and watch this movie. If you're interested in in-depth characterization, Short Term 12 will provide a great abundance of that. Although this is more of a personal movie for me, making me have a soft spot for it, it's still a really good movie on its own. The performances and the tug-at-your-heartstrings story create such an emotional and moving film for those willing to take a little time to see it.



 Get ready for the all feels and all the laughs!


Short Term 12 is rated R for language and brief sexuality

Click here to watch the trailer

Short Term 12 is available on DVD, Blu-ray, and most streaming services


      Thanks for reading, everybody! I'll post something like this every Wednesday. If not Wednesday, then for sure on the Thursday right after. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to get updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen Short Term 12, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment