Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Finding Dory Review



Finding Dory 


Dory: "Don't cry, mommy...Don't cry..."


      Finding Dory is directed by Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo, WALL·E, John Carter) and Angus MacLane (Burn-E short, Toy Story of Terror short) and stars Ellen DeGeneres as Dory, Albert Brooks as Marlin, Ed O'Neil as Hank, Hayden Rolence as Nemo, Kaitlin Olson as Destiny, Ty Burrell as Bailey, Eugene Levy as Charlie, Diane Keaton as Jenny, and Sloane Murray as Young Dory.



Every time I see Dory, I smile. She's such a beautiful creature!
 

      One year after overprotective Marlin and extremely forgetful  Dory traveled through the ocean to rescue Nemo from potential injuries, a few visions that Dory sees causes her to remember a bit more of her vague past. She, Marlin, and Nemo travel, yet again, to a certain area that Dory mumbles in her manic episodes: California. This time, the goal is to find Dory's parents so that a happy reunion can happen. With new areas to explore, new characters in the Finding Nemo universe are introduced. However, this would not be Pixar movie without some internal conflicts: Dory must find her parents, not only relying on her brave and positive instincts, but without much help from anyone else.



She's too great of a character. You just have to root for her to see her parents :'(


      I am a huge fan of Pixar's 2003  film Finding Nemo. Visually, Finding Nemo looked (and still looks) absolutely beautiful. The story surrounding Finding Nemo is a simple concept, yet complex with how the characters react to the events going on: a father finding his son. Does Finding Dory stand up toe to toe with its predecessor or even surpass the original's greatness? Unfortunately, no it does not, but given that Finding Nemo is almost a perfect film, in my opinion, I can't fault it that much for not being as good. I do love Finding Dory overall and I can't find many faults with it, unless I start nitpicking, and even then it's just a matter of very subjective opinion. First and foremost, the voice acting in Finding Dory is spectacular. I couldn't picture anybody else, but Ellen Degeneres voicing Dory as good as she does. The only concern that I had going into this movie was if Finding Dory was going to basically be a repeat of Finding Nemo. It isn't at all. Yeah, there are similar beats and scenes a couple of times throughout the movie, but Dory really carried the film well enough to where she isn't seen as secondary character anymore, but rather a strong primary character. All that leads back to Ellen Degeneres being a great voice choice for the first movie to then lead this star filled cast.



 Go get 'em, Ellen!


      I'm really going to compress the points on why I like this movie so much mainly because Finding Dory is, like Finding Nemo, a simple movie, in terms of story. Just like all of the other Pixar films, Finding Dory has laughs and moments of tears for both adults and kids. A nitpick that I'd like to point out is that I felt, at some points, that the writers wanted to force the audience to cry; they wanted more emotions out of certain scenes that just didn't hit me as much as Finding Nemo or other Pixar movies like Inside Out or Up. Anyhow, I did hold back some tears for those moments. I swear, a tear was starting to dribble from my eyelid, but I forced it back into my body like I was somehow controlling time. Weird, right? Exaggeration to the max! Unpopular opinion, the ending did not hit as strongly for me as it did for most people who were in the theater with me, but nevertheless, it was still pretty funny. As for the animation, well c'mon. It's Pixar.



Picture this already fantastic animated still, but times 100. That's how far Pixar has come from their first groundbreaking film Toy Story.


      All in all, I can assure everyone who is skeptical of Finding Dory being a cash grab or completely unnecessary that this movie isn't that by any means. I can't say that this beats Finding Nemo, but it sure is a good continuation for it. For those of you familiar with Pixar films, you know there is going to be a short film before the actual movie happens and all I will say is "holy moly! This animation is surreal in that it's too real".


4.8/5


PRO

  • Continues Finding Nemo's simple story with complex and charming characters
  • Beautiful animation
  • Ellen Degeneres' Dory carries the film very well
  • Like most Pixar movies, it's good for both kids and adults
CON
  • Sometimes forced emotions

Finding Dory is rated PG for mild thematic elements

Click here to watch the trailer

Finding Dory is in theaters everywhere now


      Thanks for reading everybody! I really appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to get updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen Finding Dory, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment