Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, September 24, 2016

The Magnificent Seven Review

The Magnificent Seven



Sam Chisolm: "A man carries a gun, he tends to use it."



    The Magnificent Seven is directed by Antoine Fuqua (Training Day, The Equalizer, Shooter) and stars Denzel Washington as Sam Chisolm, Chris Pratt as Josh Faraday, Ethan Hawke as Goodnight Robicheaux, Vincent D'Onofrio as Jack Horne, Byung-hun Lee as Billy Rocks, Manuel Garcia-Rulfo as Vasquez, Martin Sensmeier as Red Harvest, Peter Sarsgaard as Bartholomew Bogue, and Haley Bennett as Emma Cullen.




Pretty damn diverse, right?



    In this Western remake of the American version of Seven Samurai, despicable and infamous outlaw Bartholomew Bogue has taken over the small mining town of Rose Creek. By doing so, he killed a handful of people, one of them being Emma Cullen's husband. Out for the blood of her husband's killer, Emma hires bounty hunter Sam Chisolm to round up a bunch of other dangerous anti-heroes to kill Bogue, his army of outlaws, and save Rose Creek and its residents from being destroyed.




And there's violence. A lot of it.



    Welcome back, western films! Although The Magnificent Seven is more flaunting in its aesthetics than its details in character arcs, there isn't a doubt in my mind that I had a good amount of fun throughout the movie, especially in the last battle sequence. That s**t blew my mind and if I were really there, it would've blown me up (ha!). This movie knows it isn't out to be a classic. If you saw the trailers for it, then you know as well that it wasn't going to be Oscar contending (most likely). There is no problem whatsoever with that though. It's awesome to watch the really exciting standoffs that The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly has made so popular. The homage to those Mexican standoffs are really well shot thanks to director Antoine Fuqua's direction. His keen eye for action is what has made him so popular in recent years with movies like The Equalizer, Olympus Has Fallen, and Shooter. With that, I really want to say that The Magnificent Seven is probably one of the most violent PG-13 movies I have seen in recent memory. I could totally imagine this movie being rated R, which is what I was hoping for because when I did see the trailer and how much action was going to be involved in the film's battle sequences, I didn't think that a PG-13 rating would fit well with what the filmmakers set out to do. Nevertheless, it worked, but if there is a director's cut with more violence, you can bet your ass I'll be watching that! The problem with movies that use action to lure fans is that there is a good chance that the editing will be incredibly choppy (i.e. almost everything Michael Bay does). Thankfully, the editing department worked hard on this film. They made the explosions and gun fights as smooth as possible so the audience wouldn't have an inducing headache. To be honest, in the first 10 minutes, I was counting how many shots were fired just for fun...yeah, I lost track after that. I bet you anything, there was probably a trailer on set just to store the amount of blanks used.




This is a Gatling gun. In the 1800's, it could shoot about 800 to 900 shots a minute. Try dodging that.



    It isn't fair of me to s**t on a movie that knew it wasn't going to aim for much, but it's what I'm going to do anyways because it is a movie. Despite the main attention getter being the action, The Magnificent Seven doesn't allow for much character information. There are plenty of films that are predominately action oriented PLUS add the benefits of fleshed out characters. The two characters that I felt got some sort of background in The Magnificent Seven were Sam Chisolm and Goodnight Robicheaux. Sam Chisolm's background is more or less revealed to the end when you find out that it's a personal matter to kill Bogue and Robicheaux's background is there to just add some flare at the end. I honestly believe that if the actors portraying these characters were casted differently, I would have no interest at all in The Magnificent Seven. Luckily, Denzel Washington is an amazing actor and he carries the film well with a fantastic supporting cast. Chris Pratt is basically Chris Pratt from his other movies: charming, funny, and modern. I had a hard time staying in the mindset of being in the wild west in the 1800's because many of Chris Pratt's, and others', moments felt out of place of how someone would act back then. Then again, the actors are all so great at what they do that I didn't even care by the end. Fleshed out characters would have been nice, but considering that this movie is already at a long-as-hell 133 minutes, I would've preferred fun action over a longer running time. In retrospect, the filmmakers really could've cut like 20 minutes or so out. I checked my watch pretty confused on how long the set up would be for this big battle at the end.




These guys are just so likable that I can't hate on whatever they do.



    I'll keep this specific review short, sweet, and to the point. The Magnificent Seven is by no means a perfect movie, however it sets out to render an action packed and lively feel. It achieves just that along with good acting, which I would expect from this cast. Thanks to director Antoine Fuqua, the well thought out violence (and there's a lot of it) gave me, specifically, an experience that is harmless and quite fun. I can definitely recommend seeing The Magnificent Seven. I don't think it'll be on anyone's radar to see in about 4 weeks or so, but it'd be cool to see on the big screen, especially for those gunshot sounds and the flashy battles. There isn't anything new, but it knows that. The Magnificent Seven is magnificent for what I expected it to be: a fun, popcorn stuffing, action movie.


3.9/5


PRO
  • Fun action
  • Antoine Fuqua's direction
  • Acting chops from the cast

CON
  • No character backgrounds; not as attached to the characters
  • Running time is longer than what it should be



The Magnificent Seven is rated PG-13 for extended and intense sequences of Western violence, and for historical smoking, some language and suggestive material

Click here to watch the trailer

The Magnificent Seven is in theaters now



    Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen The Magnificent Seven, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment