Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Sully Review

Sully


Chesley 'Sully' Sullenberger: "Everything is unprecedented until it happens for the first time."



    Sully is directed by Clint Eastwood (Unforgiven, Gran Torino, Million Dollar Baby, American Sniper) and stars Tom Hanks as Chesley 'Sully' Sullenberger, Aaron Eckhart as Jeff Skiles, Laura Linney as Lorraine Sullenberger, Anna Gunn as Elizabeth Davis, Mike O'Malley as Charles Porter, Jamey Sheridan as Ben Edwards, Valarie Mahaffey as Diane Higgins, Delhi Harrington as Lucille Palmer, and Molly Hagan as Doreen Welsh.




Look at this champion of acting, rocking that mustache. The most awesome person ever.



    Now into the air, Flight 1549, captained by Chesley 'Sully' Sullenberger and First Officer Jeff Skiles, collides with a flock of birds that ruin the thrust on both engines. This endangers all 155 passengers and crew members on board the airplane. Every second is precious because the plane is losing altitude over New York City and could, at any moment, crash into buildings to cause catastrophe. Sully had only 280 seconds to make life-changing decisions that would save the people who are under his watch. He does so and he is now a national hero, but what you don't see is the behind the scenes of what Sully went through, professionally and psychologically, after the heroic action of safely landing the a plane in the Hudson River.




Can you believe that 155 actually survived this? It could've been a disaster, but Sully did it. He did it.



    Ah. Tom Hanks and Clint Eastwood. Two talented Hollywood heavyweights. They're taking on the story of one of America's most recent and jaw-dropping saves. Think of that and tell me that it's not (or going to be, if you haven't seen it yet) good. Sully is great. I honestly don't think I could've disliked this movie even if I tried. All across the board, the performances from all the actors are solid and the directing is strong. It's annoying that most of the movies that have come out this year with a big named actor (or multiple) and a well-known director aren't really up to par with the phenomenal independent films that have come out so far. Luckily, Hanks and Eastwood brought the big guns and filmed a movie about a plane crash...that sounds so dark. However, it is an amazing true story that we don't know much about. All most people really know is that a plane landed in the Hudson River in New York and everyone survived the landing. Sully, the pilot of that flight, really went through a lot after the event and Tom Hanks portrays that excellently. It's unfair to use "Tom Hanks is a fantastic actor" as a component of how Sully is good, but I can't help it. The guy is a legend. It's almost as if he isn't trying to be a regular Joe. That's ridiculous to think of since he is Tom f***ing Hanks, but he really is the everyday guy that's walking on a sidewalk going to work. His acting skills surpass the outlandish and loud performances that we see in cinema today to something much more subtle: the ordinary citizen. It's not even just his grounded personality that allows the audience to connect with the character of Sully. Tom can take a lead role and hand the torch of expertise to other actors. In this case, Aaron Eckhart had a moment in the limelight. His performance as Jeff Skiles compliments Hanks' Sully as almost a brotherly bond (which is what I expect after the profound and dangerous experience they both went through). I wouldn't be surprised if Tom Hanks is awarded the nomination for best actor in a leading role by the Academy Awards. Although that may seem like it's not saying much, you can't argue with the results of Hanks' work. If Eckhart is awarded the nomination for supporting role, then I would be surprised. Nonetheless, I would still be happy with that too.




He's just one of those crazy talented and nice people I'd love to hang out with.



    I can give you many reasons why Tom Hanks is one of the (if not THE) greatest Actor working today, but I don't have as many reasons to support how Clint Eastwood is one of the greatest directors working today. In fact, he has had his share of not-so-good films. However, his role as "captain" of the film is particularly noteworthy of a mention. Don't worry, I love Clint Eastwood's work as a director. All I'm saying is that, like any director, he has a very good amount of stink bombs. On the plus side, he has his pile of treasures that are timeless. Unpopular opinion: my favorite film directed (not starring) by Clint Eastwood is Letters from Iwo Jima. From what I notice in his films, his choice to use darker/bluish colors allows for more mistakes in his films overall. If there is supposed to be a happy or exciting scene, the colors pretty much are the parallel of what you want to have in those scenarios. Then again, I'm not a cinematographer. I just don't think it fits. In Sully, this color scheme fits perfectly though. Actually, mostly everything about Sully fits perfectly with the story surrounding the man of the hour. Clint Eastwood, even at his age, still is a tour de force. Although, now he's more of a tour de force in the directorial department. There's just one problem with one of his choices that I can't seem to stop thinking about...




Clint Eastwood: "I'm a nice guy. I really am. But if you touch me, I will destroy you. Take four steps back and we're good."



    The use of storytelling is a bit bizarre. I totally understand the usage of flashbacks to tells the story, as long as it's not overused or in your face about it, but I didn't expect Sully to have sort of a different way to tell this courageous story. I honestly feel like it could've gone better in a different route. As an example, the film, at one point, goes back in time to when Sully was just a teenager finding his love for flight, then the scene cuts to present day (after the event). I can't get behind the huge jumps in time, or from seeing what's going on in the cockpit of the airplane to dialogue between a father and his son in the passenger seating area wondering how the other son is doing in the far back seats. I can actually trace these kinds of scenes to the under-utilization of characters. Although everyone does a great job, in terms of acting, there isn't enough of some characters to make me want to want more from them. I don't want to say the word "care" because I do care about them. I get that Sully is about Sully the airline pilot, but if there are more characters involved with more screen time than an extra but less than a secondary character, I don't want those characters to feel forced either. Sully's wife Lorraine is one of those characters who I'd like to know more about, but she doesn't get enough screen time. It just seems like the filmmakers put her in there to remind everyone that Sully has a family back home. I know I'm sounding kind of cruel or rude, but I honestly think no characters should be put in the position to be less than a secondary character, but more than an extra. It's unfair to the story.




The only two people in the movie because nobody else really mattered. Except the passengers and the crew. Without them on board, Sully would have no one to save.



     Sully has a lot going for it. I know it sounds like I'm either contradicting my appreciation for this movie, but all I want to get through to everyone is that the pros outweigh the cons by 7 miles away (just like Flight 1549 was from an airport. Bad joke, right?). Tom Hanks is still the talented everyday man that we all love, Clint Eastwood is a brilliant director, and there are some minor things that I didn't love about Sully. To be perfectly frank, the story is truly amazing and that's what got to me. Captain Sullenberger is a true American hero. The message that this movie provides through Sully's precise and mind boggling is one that I will remember for a long, long time. A salute to you, Sully!



4.4/5



PRO
  • Performances (Tom Hanks especially)
  • Clint Eastwood's directing
  • Amazing story of a hero

CON
  • Storytelling technique is a bit all over the place
  • Underutilized characters



Sully is rated PG-13 for some peril and brief strong language

Click here to watch the trailer

Sully is in theaters everywhere now



    Thanks for reading, everybody! I really do appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen Sully, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment