Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Everybody Wants Some!! ***EXPLICIT*** Review

Everybody Wants Some!! 


"I'm starting to have an identity crisis here. We danced to disco, danced to Cotton Eyed Joe in kicker attire, and here we are, punks for a night!" -Jake

 
       Everybody Wants Some!! is directed and written by Richard Linklater (Dazed and Confused, Boyhood, the Before trilogy) and stars Blake Jenner as Jake, Glen Powell as Finnegan, Zoey Deutch as Beverly, J. Quinton Johnson as Dale, Temple Baker as Plummer, Tyler Hoechlin as McReynolds, Wyatt Russell as Willoughby, Ryan Guzman as Roper, Juston Street as Jay, Will Brittain as Beuter, Austin Amelio as Nesbit, Forrest Vickery as Coma, and Tanner Kalina as Brumley.



Shit...a bunch of dudes on a baseball team living it up in college? This totally makes for a good Linklater movie!


      Everybody Wants Some!!, like some of Linklater's other films, doesn't have a story per se of the protagonist defeating the antagonist. It's a story about figuring out who you are. Everybody Wants Some!! takes place 3 days before classes start at a college in Texas. Jake, the new freshman on the baseball team, moves into the baseball house with his teammates. Then life in college during the 1980's goes on for the next 116 minutes: college parties with naked girls and guys, drinking tons of beer, smoking pot while having weird conversations, awesome fucking music, and finding yourself.



Good times required, bitches!


      Everybody Wants Some!! had been written shortly after Linklater's other coming-of-age movie Dazed and Confused, but never saw the light of day for some reason. Now that Linklater has credibility in the eyes of the academy, his movie is now a reality. Linklater knows how to create good characters even when there isn't much of a story to go by. Everybody Wants Some!! is basically a baseball team wanting to fuck and have fun, but there is also a quality about them that makes you want to follow their journey to getting laid. When a conversation about telepathy comes up (and mind you, it's the picture above and they're high as shit), it could turn some people off, but the writing shows its authenticity by showing what people are like (when they're high). Now obviously, conversations when high can vary, but that's besides the point. I have to praise the work that Linklater did because it seems to me that the hardest part of making this movie was to incorporate a likability to an otherwise plot-less movie. That's his thing though and he brings it hard to Everybody Wants Some!! for sure.



Linklater, you've done it again you fucking genius.


      Like Dazed and Confused, the comedy is spot-on in Everybody Wants Some!!. This is particularly due to the chemistry of the cast. Their scenes together feel so genuine and I can laugh at their competitiveness towards each other. This may sound really weird, but their frustration with losing is fucking hilarious. I shit you not, there is a game where you hold your hands out and flick your finger to your opponents knuckle until it starts to get really red or bleeding and the person who wants to stop because it hurts, loses. It's fucking weird, but it's also comedic genius to put it into a movie with testosterone filled college baseball players. This also goes without saying in a college movie consisting of guys trying to get laid and drink until they pass out, but the parties are also great. With every camera turn, there's always something going on that makes you laugh so hard that you piss your pants. One particular scene, which I won't spoil, involves a cat and a fridge. I was literally gasping for fucking air when I saw saw this!



Fucking Finnegan (right) will say anything to get into bed with a girl. We all know someone like that. Yeah, I'm talking about you, man. You know who you are haha!


      Strange to say that Everybody Wants Some!! isn't only about hooking up, drinking, drugs, and partying. It also has a lot of heart. The root of the film is life and figuring out what you want to do, who you want to be around and be with, and finding out who you are. Jake is the main character we follow throughout the running time of this movie and he brings a lot of the sweet moments of love and happiness. Him and Beverly are the lovebirds in Everybody Wants Some!! even though we don't see them together for the most part. Beverly, by the end, really grounds the party jock with a heartfelt conversation. Fuck it. Everybody Wants Some!! is basically the good times during a life in a nutshell.



Aw, how sweet! A beautiful moment between two individuals that gives the audience that heartwarming feeling...


...until Plummer says something really fucking stupid and entertaining about his dick being a joke.


      Everybody Wants Some!! is an immersive experience that allows you to follow realistically charming characters who have a fun time, whether that's fucking around with each other by calling them names and playing pranks or seeing them grow as a human. I can honestly say that this movie is probably going to end up being one of my favorite movies of the year. I have to mention quickly that the music is just phenomenal. I'm currently listening to a playlist with all of the songs in the soundtrack. Everybody Wants Some!! will be one of those movies that you watch in college and can watch over and over again still having as much fun as the first time you saw it. M-m-m-my Sharona!


 5/5

PRO
  • Linklater's direction for realism
  • The casts' chemistry with comedy and likableness
  • Heart behind the madness
  • Fucking kick-ass 80's music!
CON
  • None
 
Everybody Wants Some!! is rated R for language throughout, sexual content, drug use, and some nudity

Click here to watch the trailer

Everybody Wants Some!! is in select theaters now, but will be in theaters everywhere on April 8, 2016

      Thanks for reading my review, everybody! I really appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to get updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've seen Everybody Wants Some!!, comment and let me know what you thought of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment