Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Zootopia Review

Zootopia


"Life's a little bit messy. We all make mistakes. No matter what type of animal you are, change starts with you."  -Judy Hopps


       Disney's new animated animal-centric movie Zootopia is directed by Byron Howard (Tangled, Bolt), Rich Moore (Wreck-It Ralph), and co-directed by Jared Bush. Zootopia stars Ginnifer Goodwin as Judy Hopps, Jason Bateman as Nick Wilde, Idris Elba as Chief Bogo, Jenny Slate as Bellwether, J.K. Simmons as Mayor Lionheart, Don Lake as Stu Hopps, Bonnie Hunt as Bonnie Hopps, Nate Torrence as Clawhauser, Tommy Chong as Yax, Alan Tudyk as Duke Weaselton, and Octavia Spencer as Mrs. Otterton.



Disney: "How's that for a cast?"

 
      Zootopia centers around a hopeful and eccentric bunny named Judy Hopps whose dream has always been to be the first bunny cop ever. Cops, in this animal world, are primarily predators and big animals such as lions, elephants, bison, bears, etc., which makes it that much more difficult for Judy to be a cop due to all the stereotyping of bunny needing to be a carrot farmer instead. She proves everyone wrong with dedication and gets the opportunity to work in the city of Zootopia where all animals live together in harmony regardless of species. Since Chief Bogo, the bison in command of ZPD, didn't want a bunny cop in his sqaud in the first place, she's placed as a meter maid. Judy does her mundane job. She brings in a criminal unannounced to the station and the, not so happy, Bogo gives her 48 hours to solve the case of a Mr. Otterton who's been missing along with 13 other animals. Along the way, she blackmails the sleazy fox Nick Wilde who hustled her near the beginning of the movie since he's the only lead she has to find Mr. Otterton. One colorful and enjoyable event leads to another and by the end, Judy finds out that this case might be something bigger than she expected it to be. 


Hey Judy, when you send letters to others, do you use haremail?

*buh dum tss*
 

      I'll be upfront about it, Zootopia was fantastic. The thing is, I expected it to be good for the reasons it was in the trailers: funny, cute, engaging, and it's Disney. It turned out to be something that I wasn't expecting at all. Zootopia is a timely film that sends a message about racism and stereotyping; something that's more relevant in society today than it has been for a while. Although this is an animated Disney movie aimed towards kids, I truly believe that Adults will enjoy it more than kids. I think that adults will understand the issues in society we face today more than kids obviously, but that isn't to say that kids won't get it at all. Kids understand stereotyping to a point. They get that some kids bully other kids because of their skin color, disability, height, or anything else. It's just that Zootopia has layers upon layers of issues being tackled that doesn't stop at the speciesism we see at the surface of Zootopia. One layer includes drug references, another sexism. Still, the main issue is stereotyping which they explained spectacularly. Kids will enjoy it for the animation, colors, animals, and even some of the "aww" moments. I just think that adults will love it even more for giving them a wonderful example of how to teach kids that being mean to others and not including them because of what they look like is bad.



Whatever type of race, ethnicity, sex you are, you can do whatever you set you're mind to. We shouldn't hold people back with stereotyping. 

 
       Zootopia's downside isn't anything more than just not being as funny as previous Disney animated films. It's definitely not unfunny. I laughed plenty of times at the film and TV references that were sprinkled in Zootopia. For you TV nuts, there is a reference acknowledging the show Breaking Bad. It's a clever, yet subtle reference. Also, it's one that, again, kids won't get, unless their parents love to confuse their kids on what some chemistry teachers do as their part-time job. The incredibly slow sloth at the DMV was the reference that had me laughing like crazy. If you have ever been to the DMV, then you can definitely get the true metaphor for what it's like to be there. I'm making it sound like Zootopia only has references going for it. It doesn't though. Even though, the humor wasn't on par as some other Disney films, the story was very well done. It was almost like a buddy-cop film in some respects. The story was especially engaging because of this. Nick Wilde and Judy Hopps made a fantastic duo that solved the original case and more with wits.



 Nick and Judy talking to Flash the sloth. Oh my god, this has to be the prefect representation of getting my license. SO ANNOYING!!!


      Just like any other Disney movie, the animation is beautiful in Zootopia. I specifically enjoyed how each of the districts of Zootopia was shown. Tundratown's ice looked perfect. You could see each of divits in the ice left by vehicles and animals. The Rainforest district looked wet and humid. The rain hitting each object was such a miniscule animation that maybe was or wasn't need. Regardless, I'm overjoyed that the animators took the time to make everything look so good. Even the animals walked and acted like their individual species to such detail, which is something I wasn't expecting too much out of.



Tundratown would be the place to be. Well, maybe it's because I, personally, like the cold.


       In the end, I left the rambunctious child-filled theater happy. The relevant topic of racism and stereotyping in our world today is a heavy topic for kids to understand, but Zootopia gives them an idea of what real stereotyping is like. Parents can get an idea of how to talk about this dilemma with their kids. Zootopia isn't devoid of heart and humor either. It definitely has more heart than humor, which I feel might be a little strange to come out of an animated movie for kids. However, I can't at all complain with the results of another modern classic Disney movie.


4.7/5

PRO
  • Relevant topic that kids should be familiar on
  • References to popular culture
  • Judy Hopps' and Nick Wilde's chemistry
  • Animation is beautiful
CON
  • Heart over humor might be unexpected
 
Zootopia is rated PG for some thematic elements, rude humor and action
 
Click here to watch the trailer
 
Zootopia is in theaters everywhere now
 
      Thanks for reading my review, everybody! I really appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to get updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've already seen Zootopia, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment