Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Deadpool ***EXPLICIT*** Review

Deadpool
 "From the studio that inexplicably sewed his fucking mouth shut the first time, comes... me!" -Deadpool


       Fox and Marvel's new superhero comedy Deadpool is directed by Tim Miller (1st time director, believe it or not) and stars Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson/Deadpool, Morena Baccarin as Vanessa, Ed Skrein as Ajax, T.J. Miller as Weasel, Stefan Kapicic as Colossus, Brianna Hildebrand as Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Gina Carano as Angel Dust, Leslie Uggams as Blind Al, and Karan Soni as Dopinder.


How fun would it be to work with Deadpool? Er. Let me rephrase that. What would you be willing to do to sit on his lap?


      Wade Wilson has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and he has to find a way to save himself not only for him, but for his fiance Vanessa. He is approached by a mysterious man who offers him help. He offers him a chance to fix his cancer and become a superhero. Unbeknownst to him, this was the same program that created Wolverine in the X-Men. He takes this chance and is treated by a man named Ajax. He later on finds out that the program he participated in is actually going to turn him into a super slave. He goes through torture, but eventually gets out. His torture actually sparked the mutated genes inside him. He gained the ability to heal at an accelerated rate. Like a ridiculously accelerated rate. Faster than Wolverine's. On the downside, his whole body looks like a shriveled tomato: just gross. Now Wade has become Deadpool. He takes his revenge and tries to find Ajax to make him turn back into the man he once was. Just as he has Ajax in his paws, Ajax kidnaps Vanessa. Deadpool, with the help of Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead, stops at nothing (except for a fucking delicious chimichanga) to save Vanessa and make Ajax change him back.


Deadpool approves. Why shouldn't you?
-Deadpool for President of the World 2020-

       So I'm a huge Deadpool fan. Not even exaggerating. Deadpool is quite possibly my favorite fictional character of all time. I've read most of his comics, have a Deadpool t-shirt, hat , and I also have a bobble head of his. Grant it, there are other people who are bigger fans and probably live in a Deadpool house (I'm not exactly sure what that means either). When I saw the leaked footage from Comic-con, I lost my mind. I've wanted to see a proper Deadpool movie ever since the piece of shit Deadpool shown in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Whoever thought that mouth-less Merc with a Mouth would be a good idea should get be tortured by Deadpool himself. I couldn't even imagine what that maniac would be able to do to the person who almost ruined him. Anyways, the moment the the beginning credits started to roll, I instantly thought, "Fuck. Yes. I love this movie already!". Then when the film was over, I thought to myself, "Fuck. Yes. I love this movie!" (without the "already"). Deadpool was done justice. I couldn't be any happier with how his movie turned out.

 HAHA! Yup. Little ol' you did very fucking well in this movie.


      Deadpool, otherwise known as the Merc with a Mouth, is widely known in the comic book world for being the 4th wall breaker and ridiculous as fuck. In Deadpool's movie Deadpoool, the fourth wall breaking is handled in an absolutely genius way. It has crotch-punching jokes towards FOX Studios, superhero films overall, and even Ryan Reynolds' previous films. My one worry for this movie was that the self awareness would either be used too much and would not be have the control to use it when needed or it would have barely any fourth wall breaking which would therefore stray away from the titular anti-hero in the comics. Thankfully, Deadpool uses fourth wall breaking when as often as they need to that doesn't feel like it's too in your face about it. There was even a joke about breaking the fourth wall while breaking the fourth wall. It was creative and just plain awesome. One big reason for the success of Deadpool is Ryan Reynolds. Ryan Reynolds is now Deadpool. He might've just already been Deadpool and maybe he just needed his chance to expose himself to the world in the naughtiest way possible: a movie.


I'm just going to say that Deadpool has had one of the best, if not the best, marketing campaign of all time.


      Along with fourth wall breaking, the Deadpool comics is also known for having a gratuitous amount of violence. Deadpool definitely has this. Since Deadpool has an accelerated healing factor, he can pretty much just not die. Yeah, he's invincible. This also means that he can have a limb chopped off and it would grow right back in a couple of hours. Are you getting at what I'm saying here? He gets badly wounded many times, but he is indestructible. The fucking guy can't die! The comedy is incorporated into this idea though so it isn't as if it's kind of like a background thing. One scene with Colossus has him break all of his limbs and he just gets better. The opposite of what would happen if I broke all my limbs. However, he isn't the only one who gets wounded. There are plenty of people in this movie who are like me and will do the opposite of Deadpool. Yeah, they just get their heads chopped off, get stabbed through the heart, you know the usual bit. Again, it's ridiculously fun though seeing as he's a shit talker too.


Does the inside of the barrel of my gun have a cucumber in it? I can't see because of the mask. Just check for me...


       I don't want to make it seem like that the violence, fourth wall breaking, and swearing is the only thing that Deadpool has going for it. It actually isn't. Weirdly enough, it's a kind of love story between Wade and Vanessa. Also weirdly enough, I bought the love story. Both characters are crazy in their own ways which makes them perfect for each other. The romantic chemistry is really shown here with a bunch of sex, nudity, and jokes about their fucked up lives. The same goes for all characters associated with Deadpool though. T.J. Miller's Weasel has some really good banter with Ryan Reynold's Deadpool which was actually one of the low points for me because I thought they worked really well together on screen, but Weasel wasn't on screen a lot. Fuck that comment. This is a Deadpool story starring Deadpool. I came in expecting to see Deadpool kick ass and that's exactly what I got plus more.


 If Deadpool loves sex, how deep do you think his love for "chimi-fucking-changas" is?


      I may have seemed to have shown some bias in my review, but I really couldn't stray from the fact that adapting the Deadpool character to the big screen is something that people thought was impossible to do, what with all the fourth wall breaking, violence, sex, and cursing. It's not going to become the next Godfather or Green Lantern, but it's a solid movie for what it was supposed to be and for what it turned out to be. I can safely say to Deadpool fans that the adaptation is genuinely well done. To people who aren't familiar with the character, I would say caution and that they should familiarize themselves at at least a little bit before watching. Ask a friend who Deadpool is. If they say something along the lines of "he's just fucking awesome", then take that as an invitation to Deadpool's pants where there's a party filled with cartoon unicorns, heads on sticks, a spiked punch bowl, chimichangas (of course), and a bowl full of condoms. Also, you might not want to let your kids see this movie after everything I've just said, but have fun trying to keep the curiosity of a 6th grader from peeking through the door.


4.9/5


 PRO
  • Outstanding adaptation from the comics
  • Ryan Reynolds is Deadpool
  • The comedy is spot on with the fourth wall breaking, violence, sex, and cursing (very crass)
  • Wade Wilson and Vanessa's love story was surprisingly believable and enticing
CON
  • Some performances were a little underutilized, but who the fuck cares?!?! It's Deadpool you came to see!

Deadpool is rated R (and understandably so) for strong violence and language throughout, sexual content and graphic nudity

Click here to watch the trailer

Deadpool is in theaters everywhere now

Thanks for reading my review, everybody! I really appreciate it. Please subscribe to my blog and follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to get updates on new reviews and trailer drops. Also, if you've seen Deadpool, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment