Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Dirty Grandpa Review

Dirty Grandpa

 "Did ever go on spring break?" -Dick Kelly
"No. I can't chug alcohol. I developed like a gag reflex." -Jason Kelly
"You're chugging a beer, not a horse c**k." -Dick Kelly


     Dirty Grandpa is the new raunchy comedy directed by Dan Mazer and stars Robert De Niro as Dick Kelly, Zac Efron as Jason Kelly, Zoey Deutch as Shadia, Aubrey Plaza as Lenore, Julianne Hough as Meredith, and Jason Mantzoukas as Tan Pam. 

C'mon guys! You're both better than this!

      Dirty Grandpa's plot is as simple as a comedy can get: A guy (Jason Kelly) takes his horny grandpa (Dick Kelly), who just lost his wife, to Florida from Georgia. The grandson is a square, a lawyer, and is getting married to a bridezilla (Meredith). The grandpa is a who-gives-a-f**k-attitude kind of horndog who will do anything to get laid due to years of being faithful to his late wife. Now on the road trip, the guys meet a couple of hot girls on their way to spring break. One girl (Lenore) in particular peaks the sexual interest of the grandpa. Grandpa tells the his grandson to follow the to where the girls are going so he can get laid. The grandson, with every bone in his body telling him no, goes along and shenanigans happen which leads the grandson to learn a very important lesson. There you go. A plot that gets as simple as you can get with a comedy.

 What the hell? Don't. Don't even ask...

     I'm going to admit it. I was somewhat excited to watch Dirty Grandpa. Maybe it was because I knew Robert De Niro was going to be a creepy and horny guy, which is something that you just don't regularly see, or maybe it was because Zac Efron has made me do a double take with his performances as of lately with the very funny Neighbors and even the dramatic Me and Orson Welles. In any case, I was kind of eager to see the how this would turn out. Well, after a couple of hours it dawned on me that Dirty Grandpa wasn't really that good. It was just a movie that I would say "eh" to. For one, the simple premise with every event pretty much falling perfectly into place with the next event was absolutely unbelievable. If that may not seem so bad, then maybe knowing that a lot of the jokes were pretty awkward and forced, in my opinion. I'm not going to lie though, almost half of the jokes made me laugh a lot. I just can't give it the credit that it deserves because it was just kind of annoying as some of the dirty DIRTY jokes went on.

 I shouldn't be too harsh on them. They could definitely beat the crap out of me.

    I can't say for certain that if the story improved on pacing and writing, then it would be a great movie, however, it would be a lot better. John Phillips is the screenwriter who has done absolutely nothing prior to Dirty Grandpa. He has Bad Santa 2 in the works, but nothing else. So I may give him a break on this one. Still, the plot was very predictable and many of the jokes were pretty weak. There's another reason many people won't love it either: the jokes in Dirty Grandpa were very offensive. This means if you don't find gay jokes, Jew jokes, Black jokes, or sex jokes to be your kind of humor, then stay away from Dirty Grandpa.

 Oops. That just happened.

     Even though many of the jokes didn't weren't on point or were just too awkward at a certain point, I still did laugh at plenty of them. One on going joke in particular which was said by plenty of people calling Jason Kelly a lesbian was actually kind of funny. This especially hit when a small Danny Glover cameo scene mentioned it. Danny Glover in general is just an awesome guy, but seeing him make offensive jokes was just really amusing for some reason. Even when it was an unnecessary joke, like "someone's" penis right in front Jason's face, made me laugh. I realized it was forced in, but it was just funny. I couldn't help it. Anyways, I guess for a lot of Dirty Grandpa, I showed my sick and gross side.

This was outside of Danny Glover's character's home. I'm not sure if you can see, but check out the textile Robert De Niro is holding. Do you know what it is? It's a black man (most likely Glover) having sex with a younger white woman.

    With the story at hand, there were many bad and annoying characters that had no affect in the simplistic story and offered nothing to the movie overall. One of those people in Dirty Grandpa was Jason's cousin Nick. He was honestly cringe-worthy at moments and during the rest of the times he was on screen, he was unbearable. I can't stand characters that offer nothing to the story of a film and, on top of that, are annoying as can be. I'm actually going to go out on a limb here and say that none of the characters in Dirty Grandpa were likable. If I were to choose one character who sort of resembled a likable character, then I would choose Robert De Niro's Dick Kelly just because he is fun to watch. That's pretty much it. Even Zac Efron's Jason Kelly was the protagonist (if you can call him that) was just a stereotypical portrait of a comedic character that has an overused arc you can see a mile away.

Sorry guys. I'm still excited to see Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising, Zac. I'm also excited to see any other project you're connected to, Robert. Just forget this ever happened and keep moving forward.

     A profound number of the jokes were not aimed with good timing causing them to miss and the story was done many times before, however I can still say I laughed plenty of other times during Dirty Grandpa. So for that, I can't dismiss it completely. I can just tell everyone reading this that if you are easily offended and can't handle very gross humor, then don't see this. Dirty Grandpa is obviously not the next Borat, being a raunchy comedy hit, but if you like a bunch of sex jokes, ethnic jokes, and want to turn your brain for 102 minutes, then go ahead and see this. It won't kill you.

2.0/5


PRO
  • Enough good laughs that it won't be a HUGE waste of time
  • Entertainment factor was there for most of the movie
CON
  • Plot is overdone and too simple
  • Characters were weak and some were unbearable
  • Almost half of the jokes missed and were just awkward

Dirty Grandpa is rated R for crude sexual content throughout, graphic nudity, and for language and drug use

Watch the trailer here

Dirty Grandpa is in theaters everywhere now

Thanks for reading my review, everybody! I really appreciate it. Follow my blog to see where new reviews show up. Follow me on Facebook here and Twitter here to get updates on new reviews, trailer drops, and other movie news. Also, if you've seen Dirty Grandpa, comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment