Hey everybody! My name is Cesar Lopez, but you can call me C Lo. I am a huge fan of movies and I appreciate all kinds of movies. Since I love watching and talking about movies, I thought I'd make this page and tell you a little bit about how I feel on certain movies. I am going to school to major in Journalism and minoring in Cinema. I will hopefully be posting at least once or maybe twice a week. You can expect to see at least one review every Saturday. Also, I would welcome everyone to maybe leave a comment on what you think of my review (agree or disagree), what you think of the movie, what you would like to see me review, what you think I could improve on in these reviews, or anything you would like to say about anything. In any case, I will read it, absorb everything you say, and try my best to respond. Thank you everyone for listening to me :) It is definitely appreciated!

"Thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies." -Roger Ebert

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Reservoir Dogs Review

Reservoir Dogs
  "I don't wanna kill anybody. But if I gotta get out that door, and you're standing in my way, one way or the other, you're gettin' outta my way."  - Mr. Pink

  Reservoir Dogs: deception, dialogue, regret, violence, confusing. These specific words are what makes this an excellent (if not perfect) movie.
  The story seems to be one long scene. It starts off with Quentin's signature dialogue being countered off each character sitting at a diner table. Mr. White, Mr. Orange, Mr. Blonde, Mr. Blue, Mr. Brown, Mr. Pink, Nice Guy Eddie Cabot, and Joe Cabot. All of the Mr.'s have been rounded up by Joe Cabot to conduct a robbery that entails stealing diamonds.
 ^These are definitely the cool guys in high school you wish you could be^

  This beginning scene contains one of favorite rants in all of film history, why you don't tip at diners, told by the fantastic Steve Buscemi as Mr. Pink.
^Is it me or does Steve Buscemi look creepy even out of character?^

  After leaving the diner, the film takes place in an abandoned warehouse (their safe house). Then story becomes even more convoluted and violent. In regular Tarantino fashion, the film is told out of order. I honestly couldn't explain the entire plot because: 
1) my explanation would ruin the movie.
and
2) I don't have the utmost confidence to explain it. It's just an out of order movie.
(If you can explain it without any spoilers, props to you).
  Anyways, chaos emanates with elements of violence, cursing, and a big twist: someone is not who they say they are...
 
^Yes, Nice Guy Eddie. I would be pissed too if you hard a nark on your side^

  Suffice to say, after the movie ended, I was craving so much more of these characters. It left so much mystery to the imagination which believe me, I like, but I honestly wanted it handed to me on a silver platter. Nothing against the movie at all. In fact, I'm praising it. I wanted much more.
  Knowing that this is Quentin Tarantino's directorial debut for the silver screen, I know this guy has major skills. I don't think he's made a bad movie. Some forgettable ones, maybe, but not bad. Tarantino is up to par with Orsen Welles' Citizen Kane for directorial debuts, and I truly believe that. Oh! He's also Mr. Brown! The chops on this guy...
^Nothing phases Mr. Tarantino^

  I have to admit that I saw the scene with Michael Madsen's Mr. Blonde cutting off the police officer's ear with Stuck In The Middle by Steelers Wheel playing in the background. Seeing it with the whole movie in place however, I just have to say, "It's so hard to keep this smile from my face."
 ^Oh god...torture at its finest?^

  The only gripe that I have with Reservoir Dogs is that it's too short. Which in retrospect, is a plus if you think about it. It's good, but it's short. It leaves you wanting more.

  I have only great things to say about Quentin's progress in film so far and that leads me to say, I can not wait until The Hateful Eight.

Pro
  • Quentin Tarantino's directorial debut
  • Fast paced and witty dialogue
  • Michael Madsen making me cringe with the Ear Scene
  • Leaves me wanting more
  • The twist revealing that someone is not who they say they are
Con
  • Too short! I want more!
5/5
 
Watch the trailer here
 
Reservoir Dogs is on Netflix and Blu-ray now 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment